General Category > All Grain Brewing

Little confused with decoction schedule

<< < (3/3)

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on June 24, 2013, 02:27:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: jeffy on June 24, 2013, 01:50:51 PM ---What I've been doing is starting with an acid rest, which may help with acidifying the pH, then while the decocted portion is boiling, I raise the heat on the main mash by recirculating and heating until it gets to a protein temp, then when I add the decoction back it goes right to the beta rest.  This way I get three rests for the price of one decoction.

--- End quote ---
I might have to try that one.

--- End quote ---

Me too.  Just need to build my Brutus 20 first!

philm63:
Gonna try decoction on a hefe for the first time soon, and would like to know if there is any limit on how long you can stay in the acid rest without risk.

If I mash in at 111 F for a ferulic acid rest and let it sit for 10 minutes then pull my decoction, can I just let the mash hang out at 111 (and falling...) while I'm taking the decoction through a sacc rest then a short boil? Shouldn't be more than an hour.

Will I be risking anything with the mash sitting below protein rest temps?

Pi:

--- Quote from: philm63 on June 27, 2013, 02:45:11 PM ---Gonna try decoction on a hefe for the first time soon, and would like to know if there is any limit on how long you can stay in the acid rest without risk.

If I mash in at 111 F for a ferulic acid rest and let it sit for 10 minutes then pull my decoction, can I just let the mash hang out at 111 (and falling...) while I'm taking the decoction through a sacc rest then a short boil? Shouldn't be more than an hour.

Will I be risking anything with the mash sitting below protein rest temps?

--- End quote ---
No. Check out Kai's page on the Hochkurz mash. "Not only does it serve to lower the pH by simply using the phosphatase and other acid forming enzymatic activity, but since there is no enzymatic activity that can have a detrimental affect on the final result, there is no rush to move to the next rest."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version