General Category > All Grain Brewing

Little confused with decoction schedule

<< < (2/3) > >>

reverseapachemaster:
I also forgo a protein rest in my decoction mashes. I infuse at sacc rest and decoct up to dex rest.

If you were brewing with undermodified grain it would be a good idea to do the much longer decoction schedule but otherwise it's not a good idea to hang out in a protein rest.

jeffy:
What I've been doing is starting with an acid rest, which may help with acidifying the pH, then while the decocted portion is boiling, I raise the heat on the main mash by recirculating and heating until it gets to a protein temp, then when I add the decoction back it goes right to the beta rest.  This way I get three rests for the price of one decoction.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: jeffy on June 24, 2013, 01:50:51 PM ---What I've been doing is starting with an acid rest, which may help with acidifying the pH, then while the decocted portion is boiling, I raise the heat on the main mash by recirculating and heating until it gets to a protein temp, then when I add the decoction back it goes right to the beta rest.  This way I get three rests for the price of one decoction.

--- End quote ---
I might have to try that one.

beersk:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on June 24, 2013, 01:13:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: narvin on June 24, 2013, 12:48:21 PM ---You can do a decoction without a protein rest; check out Kai's page about the Hochkurz mash:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction

--- End quote ---

Love the Hochkurz.  8)

--- End quote ---
I concur!

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: narvin on June 24, 2013, 12:48:21 PM ---You can do a decoction without a protein rest; check out Kai's page about the Hochkurz mash:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction

--- End quote ---

Narvin, I know I don't have a fancy web page, but that is exactly what I said previously!  Just a lot shorter.... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version