General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Fermentation Fridge Freezer Override

(1/2) > >>

kozman1215:
Hi All - - I'm planning on starting to ferment in a fridge, but have one question:

Will the Ranco/Johnson temperature control override the freezer compartment of the fridge once I plug the fridge into it, or do I need to find a freezerless fridge?

Cheers
Kris

In The Sand:
Yes you can use it with a fridge that has a freezer.  It's basically just a relay that cuts the power on and off depending on what you have the temperature set to.  You can adjust the temperature differential based on how much temperature variation you want.

kozman1215:
Thanks!  Also, do I need to set the fridge at a certain temperature setting or does that not matter since I'll have the Ranco or Johnson controller?

Appreciate it!

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: kozman1215 on June 24, 2013, 01:20:15 PM ---Thanks!  Also, do I need to set the fridge at a certain temperature setting or does that not matter since I'll have the Ranco or Johnson controller?

Appreciate it!

--- End quote ---

set it to the lowest temp setting. that way you don't have to worry about the fridge itself kicking off before the controller would if you are fermenting a lager or similar.

In The Sand:

--- Quote from: kozman1215 on June 24, 2013, 01:20:15 PM ---Thanks!  Also, do I need to set the fridge at a certain temperature setting or does that not matter since I'll have the Ranco or Johnson controller?

Appreciate it!

--- End quote ---

The Ranco will be the new temp controller, so your fridge temp setting doesn't matter much.  I would just leave the fridge temp at wherever you would normally use it, 35-38 F, just to ensure it runs when the Ranco tells it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version