Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheap pour?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Cheap pour?
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:34:17 am »
So we went to dinner at an upscale bar/restaurant last night and saw they had Firestone Walker double Jack on tap so I ordered what I thought would arrive as a pint since it was priced at $8.00.

The waiter delivered me an 8 oz snifter.....

I laughed and thought it was a mistake, was I wrong? I realize its a 9.5% beer but at almost a dollar per oz I was little surprised-thoughts?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Cheap pour?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:18:20 am »
At an upscale restaurant that seems about right. Prices are what make the place upscale. That and food prepared by a true and talented chef.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:38 am »
So we went to dinner at an upscale bar/restaurant last night and saw they had Firestone Walker double Jack on tap so I ordered what I thought would arrive as a pint since it was priced at $8.00.

The waiter delivered me an 8 oz snifter.....

I laughed and thought it was a mistake, was I wrong? I realize its a 9.5% beer but at almost a dollar per oz I was little surprised-thoughts?
Seems a little high. I go to a pub with a huge beer selection. And it's always the high abv stuff on tap where there's a little  "room for interpretation".  I've been going to this pub for 20+ years , so they give me a heads up if a beer is a good bit pricier than others, or if the quantity is smaller. I've always noticed that higher end places charge more for a given beer too. I got an 11oz pour of St Bernardus Abt12 for about $9 at this pub, and it's 10%.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Cheap pour?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
Yeah, I get that, not my first trip around the block.
I was just surprised, not at the price more so the amount of beer for the price.

All other beers were $6-$7 and were delivered in pints or large tulips, even the couple Belgians we had, that's why this one threw me a bit

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:50:32 am »
The servers at my brewery know to inform customers if a pour of a higher ABV beer is in a smaller glass. Should be a "common courtesy" thing, even in a fancy restaurant.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Cheap pour?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

The servers at my brewery know to inform customers if a pour of a higher ABV beer is in a smaller glass. Should be a "common courtesy" thing, even in a fancy restaurant.

That's kind of what I was thinking when I posed the question or at least have it posted on the board/beer list.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:50 am »
I don't think there's any excuse for NOT informing the customer how their experience might not meet their expectations.  For every beer they should list the price and the glass it comes in.

That said, in my experience $8 is expensive for that beer.  But maybe not at a fancy restaurant.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 10:39:29 am »
I have gotten sort of used to getting a smaller glass of stronger beers, but usually the price stays the same.  To be charged more and then get less would be irritating.
And yes, they should tell you up front.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:05:16 am »
Expensive but not terribly surprising. Nice restaurants here tend to offer a 12oz of BMC for $6-7 so I'd imagine 8oz of double jack would be somewhere around $15.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 11:54:48 am »
Had a similar experience recently with what I thought was a higher price, lower volume pour. It was even more surprising because I ordered a Founder's Pale Ale and we're 15 minutes from the brewery.

I miss Germany in these situations. The volume is typically on the menu and its marked on the glass. Been awhile, so I won't swear it's law or custom, but it's there. No surprises either way.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain