General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Help with Berliner pellicle.

(1/5) > >>

rainmaker:
Sorry for the bad photo, but I was wondering if anyone can help with this.... It's a very thin film with intermittent bubbles. My question is, what is it from, and is it safe?

ccfoo242:
I'll defer to others for the correct answer, but I thought the boil was supposed to kill off any bugs left in the berliner mash.

lornemagill:
I am by no means an expert but ive done a few berliners and I think that is a lacto pellicle.

rainmaker:

--- Quote from: ccfoo242 on June 25, 2013, 07:17:42 PM ---I'll defer to others for the correct answer, but I thought the boil was supposed to kill off any bugs left in the berliner mash.

--- End quote ---

After reading your posting realized I left out a very important detail. I pitched some dregs from 1809 and Cuvee Freddy to see what would happen, and racked off of the yeast after a week. Thus shot is taken 4 weeks in, and I plan to bottle this week.

Any suggestions for bottling, or just go about it like any other?

redbeerman:
Have you taken a gravity reading lately?  You need to make sure that the bugs are done before you bottle it or you may have issues with bottle bombs.  My experience with this is that it takes months for it to finish as opposed to weeks (assuming the dregs contain a Brett strain).  Your other option would be to pasteurize the beer, then reyeast and prime and bottle.  Or you could cut back on your priming sugar to help assure that you don't over pressurize the bottles, but there are no guarantees with this method.  Personally, I would wait.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version