Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help! Peppercorn IPA  (Read 3008 times)

Offline scottcberens

• 1st Kit
Help! Peppercorn IPA
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:02 pm »
Hi all!  My homebrew club is doing an Iron Brewer Competition and I have to brew a beer with Peppercorns and London Ale yeast.  I have never used peppercorns before so any advice on when to use those in the boil and/or secondary would be great! 

Here is the grain bill we all have to use:
10 lbs golden promise
1.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb munich malt
0.5 lb caramel 90L

Yeast:  London Ale WLP013

Hops:  Thinking of Warrior for bittering and a late additions of some citrus hops such as citra, mosaic, falconers flight or zythos.

I was thinking adding some peppercorn at the end of the boil (maybe 5 mins) and possibly some in the secondary.  I don't want anything too peppery and undrinkable...  and i'm not sure how much to use. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Help! Peppercorn IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:11:19 am »
There are two ways I would approach this - either put them in secondary or make a tincture and dose the keg.  I can't think of a beer I have made with spices in the boil that I thought was really good, even for just 5 minutes.

For secondary (or in the keg), put them in a bag (I would use about an ounce of whole peppercorns) and taste it daily until you like the flavor, then pull the bag out.

For a tincture, soak an ounce of peppercorns in six ounces of vodka for three days or so, then strain them out.  Does that in the keg to taste.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:32:03 am »
This is a great one. The base beer looks close to yours.

By Mike Bardallis.
http://2cicerones.blogspot.com/2011/11/brew-day-batch-352-rye-peppercorn-pale.html?m=1
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:38 am »

By Mike Bardallis.
http://2cicerones.blogspot.com/2011/11/brew-day-batch-352-rye-peppercorn-pale.html?m=1

I like the look of that but am thinking I would sub out the special b for a 65 l crystal. Have you brewed it with the special b?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:24 am »

By Mike Bardallis.

I like the look of that but am thinking I would sub out the special b for a 65 l crystal. Have you brewed it with the special b?

I have not brewed it, but have had more than a few times at Mike's as he wrote that recipe. Good stuff.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!