Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?  (Read 17244 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2013, 07:48:03 am »
STILL bloody sick! Had to make Dr. appt. Low grade fever. Razor blades in my throat and lungs full of butter. F#@& you, glass washing station!

This is the first time I have been sick in 3 years, and the worse one in probably 10. And I have 2 kids that, anyone with kids knows, are walking bio terrorists during school months. Must me some weird yankee bird flu or something.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
STILL bloody sick! Had to make Dr. appt. Low grade fever. Razor blades in my throat and lungs full of butter. F#@& you, glass washing station!

This is the first time I have been sick in 3 years, and the worse one in probably 10. And I have 2 kids that, anyone with kids knows, are walking bio terrorists during school months. Must me some weird yankee bird flu or something.
For the record, I did not use the washing station and fell fine.

Keith, thanks for the swag!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2013, 09:17:20 am »
Jeff, to your question about conference beers...

the way it worked when "I" did one for Seattle is like this....grains were donated by Great Western and hops by Hop Union.  Wyeast offered to donate yeast, but John Maier just went with Pacman he had.  We got a mobile bottler to donate bottling facilities and Rogue donated the bottles themselves.  Another company donated the screening on the bottles.  My job was to come up with a recipe and find someone to brew it.  Although I was open to collaborating with John on a recipe, he was up for just using my standard Rye IPA recipe.  Sp, there are a lot of donations involved and I was going around in circles trying to get ducks in a row.  Fortunately Mike Higgins at Rogue was a huge help in getting donations and getting everything organized.  Anything else I can tell you?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:06 am »
Jeff, to your question about conference beers...

the way it worked when "I" did one for Seattle is like this....grains were donated by Great Western and hops by Hop Union.  Wyeast offered to donate yeast, but John Maier just went with Pacman he had.  We got a mobile bottler to donate bottling facilities and Rogue donated the bottles themselves.  Another company donated the screening on the bottles.  My job was to come up with a recipe and find someone to brew it.  Although I was open to collaborating with John on a recipe, he was up for just using my standard Rye IPA recipe.  Sp, there are a lot of donations involved and I was going around in circles trying to get ducks in a row.  Fortunately Mike Higgins at Rogue was a huge help in getting donations and getting everything organized.  Anything else I can tell you?
That makes it clear.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2013, 10:54:55 am »

Martin - really enjoyed the historic water talk, might rate that highest from my perspective. I had asked the guy who wrote the Zymurgy article on Graetzer/Grodziskie and asked about the water and did they adjust, his reply was that they do an acid rest. Do you think that would be enough to get the pH right?

If I recall that water profile correctly, the alkalinity was the only significant detriment.  As the attendees at my NHC presentation should recall, the Munich profile is a case in point when the water is pre-boiled.  There is still a need to perform an acid rest or add acid malt to take care of the remaining alkalinity and brew light beers successfully.  If the alkalinity is low enough, say <200 ppm bicarb), then its possible that the lactic acid from those treatments will not be perceptable in the finished beer. 

By the way, with enough time an acid rest has the potential to knock out even high levels of alkalinity. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks