Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with Hibiscus....  (Read 2711 times)

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
Brewing with Hibiscus....
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:32:45 am »
Can I just pick the flowers off the Hibiscus plant in front of my house and brew with that?  If so how much should I use vs the dried stuff.  Now does anyone have a source for dried Hibiscus?  Where can I get some??  Thanks!!

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Brewing with Hibiscus....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:30 am »
Aren't hibiscus toxic?
Trey W.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:22 am »
There are several commercial examples if one does a search.

This might give some help.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4436.0
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:51 am »
is this a tropical hibiscus in a pot, or a rose mallow herbaceous perennial type?  I've not found the latter to have much flavor, though I grow some for their awesome dinner-plate sized blooms.

I have liked the dried tropical blossoms I bought from Olive Nation, fwiw.  I put some in a mead not long ago.  People swear there is a bit of raspberry, rhubarb, and especially cranberry in there!

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:10 pm »
I brewed a Hibiscus Saison with dried hibiscus from the bulk spice section at Natural Grocers, I'm sure other grocery stores carry it as well.  I used 6oz for the last 10 minutes of the boil on a 10 gallon batch.  The color comes through beautifully and the flavor really compliments the character of the French Saison yeast.

Do it!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »
I brewed a Hibiscus Saison with dried hibiscus from the bulk spice section at Natural Grocers, I'm sure other grocery stores carry it as well.  I used 6oz for the last 10 minutes of the boil on a 10 gallon batch.  The color comes through beautifully and the flavor really compliments the character of the French Saison yeast.

Do it!

I can attest to the quality of this beer as I have tasted it.  Did the exact same thing except at whirlpool for 10 minutes.