Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alcoholic Root Beer  (Read 53736 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Alcoholic Root Beer
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »
Sorry to bump my own thread but an update and addition question on direction.

The root beer turned out pretty good! 10%abv using a bland base ale at 50srm back sweetened with sugar and sarsaparilla extract. Kegged and carbed and pretty tasty!

Question: since root beer is basically sugar, water, extract/raw ingredients and champagne yeast I'm wondering: what if I used enough sugar for desired ABV, allowed to fully ferment, added extract, malto dextrine and back sweetened with sugar and kegged would I achieve the better results? Or just some type of nasty cider beverage?

I ask because while the current batch is good for a start there is a late flavor that kind of doesn't work and no one knows what it's derived from. Extract, malt base or perhaps the hops? Possibly need to use root beer extract instead of sarsaparilla?

Looking for thoughts on the sugar idea primarily, thanks!

If I was going to go all-sugar, I'd probably use honey as my base and essentially brew a root beer metheglin. I don't have any experience using an all-sugar base for fermenting, but I can't help but be concerned that I'd end up producing jet fuel. I figure, you might as well use a proven base ingredient that can add some nice flavor while you're at it.

On the other hand, there's really nothing to lose if you want to try a quick 1-gallon batch. Just make sure you use nutrient/DAP like you would with mead.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:16 am »
HaHa! Jet Fuel......didn't think of that, maybe not such a great idea!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline kmwylie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:14:11 am »
Duboman, can you post your recipe? I see the starting one. (I found that one too.) But, what did you change exactly? Did you end up going with an extract? If so, how much?

Being from IL, did you happen to go to Brewfest in Plainfield a couple of weeks ago?  Not Your Father's had a special 30% -- yes, 30%! --batch! It was delicious. I spoke with the owner (I forget his name. My husband and I were pouring all day for the event and by the after party, when I finally got a taste, I was exhausted), and he told me he doesn't use extract at all. He listed off some of his ingredients -- wintergreen, vanilla, ginger, and I thought he said both sassafras and sarsaparilla - maybe it was just sassafras.

Anyway, I too have been on the hunt for an "adult root beer" recipe.

I found this from MotherEarthNews.com...

A mixture is made by adding 1 1/2 gallons of molasses to 5 gallons of boiling water. This is allowed to stand for three hours.

Then 1/4 pound each of sarsaparilla root, bruised sassafras bark, and birch bark (wintergreen flavor) is added.

Next add 1/2 pint of fresh yeast, and enough water to make about 16 gallons total volume.

This is allowed to ferment for 12 hours before being drawn off for bottling (the same as in making beer), after which the secondary fermentation creates the carbonation.

Keep the temperature at 65 to 75 degrees F. during fermentation and after bottling until the carbonation process is complete.

The amount of alcohol in the beverage is dependent upon how long the batch ferments prior to bottling and the level to which the bottles are filled. By partially filling the bottles, the fermentation continues for a longer time and the alcoholic content is correspondingly increased. It is possible to obtain up to 10% alcohol with this process.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/guide-making-root-beer-zmaz71ndzgoe.aspx#ixzz2dpzl0U6z

Then I found this recipe, for a non-alcoholic version from WelnessMama.com:

Ingredients

½ cup Sassafras Root Bark
    ½ teaspoon wintergreen leaf (or more- try this to taste but start with a little as it has a very strong flavor)
    1 cup unrefined organic cane sugar like rapadura
    ¼ cup molasses
    1 cinnamon stick or 1 tiny dash of ground cinnamon (optional)
    dash each of coriander and allspice (optional)
    2 teaspoons of natural vanilla extract
    3 quarts filtered water
    ¼ cup lime juice (optional but good for flavor)
    ¾ cup homemade ginger bug or other starter culture like whey or vegetable starter

Instructions

Put the sassafras root bark and wintergreen leaf in a large pot. Add cinnamon, coriander and allspice if using.
    Add 3 quarts of filtered water and turn on high heat.
    Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
    Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove herbs.
    While still warm, add the sugar and molasses and stir until dissolved.
    Let cool until warm but not hot and add the lime juice and then then ginger bug or other culture and stir well.
    Transfer to grolsch style bottles or jars with tight fitting lids and allow to ferment for several days at room temperature.
    Check after two days for carbonation and when desired carbonation is reached, transfer to refrigerator and store until use.
    Enjoy!

Notes
If desired, the following can be added to the original boil but they are not needed:
-2 cloves
-1 tablespoon licorice root
-1 tablespoon grated ginger root
-1 tablespoon hops flowers
-1 teaspoon of anise or fennel

I was thinking of using this recipe - swapping out (or adding to) the molasses with malt and using a little hops. Then adding a champagne yeast.

Thoughts?

Kim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:26:03 am »
I think that second recipe sounds wonderful just like it is! I have been meaning to make some lactic soda and I love rootbeer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:16 pm »
Duboman, can you post your recipe? I see the starting one. (I found that one too.) But, what did you change exactly? Did you end up going with an extract? If so, how much?

Being from IL, did you happen to go to Brewfest in Plainfield a couple of weeks ago?  Not Your Father's had a special 30% -- yes, 30%! --batch! It was delicious. I spoke with the owner (I forget his name. My husband and I were pouring all day for the event and by the after party, when I finally got a taste, I was exhausted), and he told me he doesn't use extract at all. He listed off some of his ingredients -- wintergreen, vanilla, ginger, and I thought he said both sassafras and sarsaparilla - maybe it was just sassafras.

Anyway, I too have been on the hunt for an "adult root beer" recipe.

I found this from MotherEarthNews.com...

A mixture is made by adding 1 1/2 gallons of molasses to 5 gallons of boiling water. This is allowed to stand for three hours.

Then 1/4 pound each of sarsaparilla root, bruised sassafras bark, and birch bark (wintergreen flavor) is added.

Next add 1/2 pint of fresh yeast, and enough water to make about 16 gallons total volume.

This is allowed to ferment for 12 hours before being drawn off for bottling (the same as in making beer), after which the secondary fermentation creates the carbonation.

Keep the temperature at 65 to 75 degrees F. during fermentation and after bottling until the carbonation process is complete.

The amount of alcohol in the beverage is dependent upon how long the batch ferments prior to bottling and the level to which the bottles are filled. By partially filling the bottles, the fermentation continues for a longer time and the alcoholic content is correspondingly increased. It is possible to obtain up to 10% alcohol with this process.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/guide-making-root-beer-zmaz71ndzgoe.aspx#ixzz2dpzl0U6z

Then I found this recipe, for a non-alcoholic version from WelnessMama.com:

Ingredients

½ cup Sassafras Root Bark
    ½ teaspoon wintergreen leaf (or more- try this to taste but start with a little as it has a very strong flavor)
    1 cup unrefined organic cane sugar like rapadura
    ¼ cup molasses
    1 cinnamon stick or 1 tiny dash of ground cinnamon (optional)
    dash each of coriander and allspice (optional)
    2 teaspoons of natural vanilla extract
    3 quarts filtered water
    ¼ cup lime juice (optional but good for flavor)
    ¾ cup homemade ginger bug or other starter culture like whey or vegetable starter

Instructions

Put the sassafras root bark and wintergreen leaf in a large pot. Add cinnamon, coriander and allspice if using.
    Add 3 quarts of filtered water and turn on high heat.
    Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
    Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove herbs.
    While still warm, add the sugar and molasses and stir until dissolved.
    Let cool until warm but not hot and add the lime juice and then then ginger bug or other culture and stir well.
    Transfer to grolsch style bottles or jars with tight fitting lids and allow to ferment for several days at room temperature.
    Check after two days for carbonation and when desired carbonation is reached, transfer to refrigerator and store until use.
    Enjoy!

Notes
If desired, the following can be added to the original boil but they are not needed:
-2 cloves
-1 tablespoon licorice root
-1 tablespoon grated ginger root
-1 tablespoon hops flowers
-1 teaspoon of anise or fennel

I was thinking of using this recipe - swapping out (or adding to) the molasses with malt and using a little hops. Then adding a champagne yeast.

Thoughts?

Kim

Kim,

So yes, I was at the fest and had the Root Beer. I can actually get it on tap at several restaurants/bars around my home, it is delicious but I am suspect of the recipe and ingredients as I know some people that are familiar with the brewer. He does actually have a third party produce his flavoring extract for him and the final product is cut with Homemade Root Beer but the alcohol base is a mystery............I have a theory and have heard rumors but, well, who knows...........

So here is the recipe I brewed:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dad's Hard Root Beer
Brewer: Commune Brewing Company
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) For flavoring: Added 35 ml sasparilla extract for root beer flavor
Sweetening: Added 1550 grams table sugar to back sweeten

Initial tasting was quite boozy and needs time to mellow and condition dated 8/11/2013

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 2.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 27.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs 6.4 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        75.0 %       
4.1 oz                De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550. Grain         2        3.0 %         
2.7 oz                Carafa I (337.0 SRM)                     Grain         3        2.0 %         
2.7 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         4        2.0 %         
1 lbs 4.5 oz          Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)          Sugar         5        15.0 %       
4.1 oz                Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)           Sugar         6        3.0 %         
0.86 oz               Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           7        32.5 IBUs     
0.15 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        8        -             
0.24 tbsp             Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         9        -             
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast         10       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 8.6 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 2.44 gal of water at 162.5 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.03gal, 2.63gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Once fermentation is complete and beer has cleared, sample and add Root beer/sarsaparilla Extract to taste. If sweetening is needed add more sugar syrup to taste.

Brewing notes: over sparged to 6 gallons, re-calaculate recipe for proper batch size  for post boil to be 3.25 gallons Lactose and sugar added at 30 minutes
Sucrose used instead of dextrose at 95% value?

Flavor Additions:
35 ml Sarsparilla Extract
1550 grams Table Sugar to sweeten

The ABV of the base beer did come to 10% which is what I was shooting for. after sampling several small pre-measured pours we arrived at the 35 ml of Sarsparilla extract (Rainbow Flavors) and the 1550 grams of sugar for the final 3 gallon batch, added to the keg. Force carbonated and being served at 30 psi.

Initially there was quite a bite to the taste that we really could not put our fingers on. After 3 weeks in the keg it tastes really good but still has a late something that we are having a hard time deciphering. I believe it is the extract as I am told that straight Sarsaparilla extract can do that. I shipped two bottles off to the pro brewer that helped me with the recipe and also a BJCP judge I know to sample. I am hoping for some critical feedback and some advice as to what I might want to alter for the next batch soon to be brewed again.

My initial thoughts on the second batch will be to go with Root Beer extract. I also plan on adding the same 1550 grams of sugar but as a simple syrup instead of just the sugar. It was difficult to dissolve that much sugar into cold beer:) I am also thinking that the hops will be completely eliminated from the recipe as its possible the hops are creating the taste and not complimenting the extract. I'm curious to hear what the pros have to say before I brew it again.

There you have it! If anyone gives this a whirl I would love to hear your thoughts or if you choose to do something else as well-Cheers!
Gary
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010