Other than Brewing > The Pub

Pronunciation of "Saison"

(1/12) > >>

nateo:
Not sure why, but it really drives me crazy when people say "Say-sawn."

It's sɛ.zɔ̃, where s is just like s, ɛ is like the eh sound in "celery" or "men,"  z is like z, and ɔ̃ is a nasal vowel that sounds like "own" if you cut off the n on the end.

So it's kind of like "seh-zohn" with a nasal n on the end.

You can listen here, on the left-hand column, click the little play button next to saison: http://dict.leo.org/frde/index_de.html#/search=saison&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

Joe Sr.:
I just say "one of those" so I can avoid the pronunciation all together.  It's like Duvel, I'm never sure if I'm saying it right...

ccfoo242:
Bone jor no!

nateo:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on June 27, 2013, 08:43:52 AM ---I just say "one of those" so I can avoid the pronunciation all together.  It's like Duvel, I'm never sure if I'm saying it right...

--- End quote ---

Duvel is a weird one, because some Dutch-speaking areas pronounce the v as f, and some pronounce v as v. In north Netherlands, especially Amsterdam, v=f is more common, and v=v is maybe a little more common in Belgium, but as far as I can tell, there's no rhyme or reason to it.

So I think you could say either "Doofle" or "Doovle" and it'd be "correct." The "el" is pronounced like the le in double. 

Now, the β/ʋ/v issue is even crazier. I can't even hear the difference between them, really, but Dutch people say they can. Also, sometimes w=w, sometimes w=β/ʋ/v

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: ccfoo242 on June 27, 2013, 09:24:05 AM ---Bone jor no!

--- End quote ---

Mercy bow cups!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version