Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starsan in SS kettle  (Read 1735 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Starsan in SS kettle
« on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:50 pm »
Is it ok to store Starsan in a SS kettle temporarily? I did so for a few days and noticed some brown "stuff" come off the kettle when I scrubbed it with a sponge. Could have been from an earlier brew, but just curious if it was degrading the metal somehow.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Starsan in SS kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:31:32 pm »
it's not degrading the metal, just cleaning it a bit. a lot of folks store star san in a keg for long periods so I'm pretty sure it's okay.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »
I believe starsan is ok for SS even if it hasnt been passivated:)  If you feel unsure contact Five Star, their customer service is outstanding!

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:47:59 am »
Is it ok to store Starsan in a SS kettle temporarily? I did so for a few days and noticed some brown "stuff" come off the kettle when I scrubbed it with a sponge. Could have been from an earlier brew, but just curious if it was degrading the metal somehow.
That "stuff" is just a thin layer of beerstone.  Instead of elbow grease and a BLUE scrubbie, I regularly just throw some spent starsan in the kettle to loosen that stuff up.  Same effect as acid cleaner #5.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!