Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop combinations for IPAs  (Read 33387 times)

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
Re: Hop combinations for IPAs
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 12:58:27 am »
I heard good things about Williamette? I read an article a week or so ago that recommended it for APA/IPA
Opinions?
Willamette is my go to hop for Pale Ales.  It has an earthy, english-like quality to it.  There's a little citrus in the hop, but not nearly as much as the others mentioned in this thread.  For that reason I leave it out of my IPAs.
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 08:08:58 am »
I had an all Perle IPA this weekend that was interesting.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ns3580

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 09:06:16 am »
I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA.  I like the grapefuity taste of that.  Mostly just want to try something different, but I don't want to use clashing flavors, or something that would be completely inappropriate.

there is a greenflash recipe in the latest issue of zymurgy that uses simcoe and columbus for most of the bittering and flavor additions until the very end.  It then calls for a large late addition of cascade and uses centennial, simcoe, columbus, amarillo and cascade to dry hop.  i have made this before and it is very good.  on my latest attempt of this beer i substituted the cascade additions with citra and it turned out awesome.  there is a huge grapefruit character that you may be looking for

Thanks for the citra tip. I also have made that recipe many time and it's great, making it Monday but looking to change it up a bit.  did you sub out all the cascade for citra? ounce for ounce?

when I subbed the citra for cascade i did it ounce for ounce.  the aroma was very big so i decided not to dry hop with it and it turned out just right for my taste.  AmandaK is right that the aroma subsides fairly quick. by the end of my dry hop the citra had struck a nice balance with everything else. this is my new favorite ipa to make.