Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Announcing the names of the winning beers  (Read 6873 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Re: Announcing the names of the winning beers
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 05:54:31 am »
I think if you are gonna craft a beer for a competition, you would want to name it. Beer is like music. in many ways. its been around a long time; almost everyone likes it, and for different reasons; there are a variety of different styles; breweries are like bands; bars are like radio stations; Pandora is, well, like my refrigerator! Naming your beer shouldn't be required, but if youre gonna brew up something good enough for competitive judging, surely you can think of something to call it?
My wife writes a monthly article for a local for a free newspaper "The Bay Journal" here in Annapolis MD. the editor is the one who titles her articles, and i think sometimes the title doesn't fit what she wrote.
As for the vulgarity, refer to the music analogy. look, we are all (supposed) to be adults of legal drinking age. and if they are not going to publish the name of your beer because someone thinks its offensive then who cares (remember the "explicit lyrics"label on albums?)
Part of brewing is expressing one's self. It would be a little boring if your song #459 won a Grammy! And who would remember what beer took the gold in 2013 NHC style #23 if you didnt name it "Sto-Lat"?!!
Especially when the guy announcing the winners is so trashed he cant even pronounce your last name!
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:13 am »
Maybe the gold medal beers should be named by the judges?

Last place beers should be named by judges - General Sharpie's Revenge!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:13:34 am »
Hmmm, Worst Beer of the Year Award? That could be a hoot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 08:19:04 am »
Hmmm, Worst Beer of the Year Award? That could be a hoot
They call the last guy drafted in the NFL draft each year "Mr. Irrelevant".  Kind of the brewing equivalent of that. :)
Jon H.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 11:06:34 am »
Maybe there's no place on the entry form for the name?  I dunno....
Well, then why not?

Good question.  In my case, it would be a moot point since my beer names are like "#424 German Pils".

#424?  You're my hero Denny.  I'm only on #195.  LOL