General Category > All Grain Brewing

Dry Hopping...%AAUs...Effect

(1/2) > >>

roguejim:
Is there any relation between the % of AAUs in a given hop, and the amount/intensity of aroma imparted in dry hopping, i.e., higher % of AAUs = more aroma imparted from dry hopping?

Is there any relation between the % of AAUs in a given hop, and the amount/intensity of flavor that can carry over in dry hopping, i.e., higher % of AAUs = more flavor imparted from dry hopping?

tom:
No, the alpha acids only impart bitterness.

The compounds that give us hop flavor and aroma aren't measured as well.

blatz:
nothing measured or scientific, but IME, the higher alpha acid hops seem to have a more intense aroma when dryhopping - CTZ, Simcoe, Chinook, Centennial, all seem powerful when using as dryhops whereas lower ones seem more floral.

again, I have no measurable basis for that other than what I've noticed when dryhopping.

denny:

--- Quote from: blatz on March 10, 2010, 07:45:09 AM ---nothing measured or scientific, but IME, the higher alpha acid hops seem to have a more intense aroma when dryhopping - CTZ, Simcoe, Chinook, Centennial, all seem powerful when using as dryhops whereas lower ones seem more floral.

again, I have no measurable basis for that other than what I've noticed when dryhopping.

--- End quote ---

I think that's only a coincidence.  Maybe hops with a higher AA also have higher levels of aromatic compounds, too.

blatz:

--- Quote from: denny on March 10, 2010, 09:13:38 AM ---

I think that's only a coincidence.  Maybe hops with a higher AA also have higher levels of aromatic compounds, too.

--- End quote ---

right - that's kind of what I was getting at, though there *could* be some correlation (higher AA usually have higher oil levels I *think*).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version