Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Beers You Ever Brewed?  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Best Beers You Ever Brewed?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
The next one.

Right on!  Always improving.  At least I hope so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:43 pm »
The next one.

I definitely feel that I'm always improving, in part due to the wealth of knowledge on this forum.  I just felt that, after a couple decades of brewing, it's fun to look back on some of the really memorable ones.  Sometimes, even though I brew and hit numbers pretty consistently, there's that batch sometimes that just freaking nails it head on.
Jon H.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:07:46 pm »
1) my McLaggan's Scottish 80/- that I brewed in late 2011. We served it at club night at NHC in Seattle and I received a lot of really good compliments. It was definitely one of, if not, my best beer ever.

2) IPA - Bitter with Columbus, FWH with Amarillo, use Simcoe/Amarillo/Willamette for late and dry hopping. I don't like super bitter IPA's, so I shoot for around 70 IBU. Its placed 1st in the IPA category all three times I have entered it in our county fair.

3) Belgian Tripel i brewed earlier this year. Tapped the keg last month and it already tastes amazing!! Several of my friends think it is the best one they have tasted. Can't wait to brew more of it.

Waiting in the wings is a Sour Blonde that my brew club did last September. It's been aging in a Cab Sav barrel from a local winery ever since. We plan to do a first tasting this weekend. I'm hoping it jumps into the top 3!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »
Not necessarily in this order...

1. I made a Lager with Honey, Cry Havoc yeast, and 1 oz of Zythos at 0 min. Crazy combo but it was really awesome.

2. I made a session pale ale (1041 OG) with all Citra hops. Maybe the best beer I have made.

3. All centennial pale ale. Crazy good.

PS. I am drinking a basic blonde right now that's not too shabby.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:07:32 pm by alestateyall »

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 06:35:53 pm »
1) Belgian Pale based off JZ's "Antwerp Afternoon" but w/ Belgian Pale Malt instead of the pils and Wy 3522

2) Belgian Blond w/ Wy 3522

3) American "Reprobate Stout" ala JZ

34 batches in 1 1/2 years and the top three were based off JZ's "Classic Styles" but I've brewed some good ones from the AHA Homebrewpedia too which isn't surprising as they're award-winning.  Close behind the stout is a Pumpkin Ale from Charlie Papazian (Cucurbito Pepo) but I made a compromise on the spices between his and Jamil's spice regimen which was a little more conservative in the amounts of spices but kept the vanilla bean.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 08:17:45 am »
The next one.

I definitely feel that I'm always improving, in part due to the wealth of knowledge on this forum.  I just felt that, after a couple decades of brewing, it's fun to look back on some of the really memorable ones.  Sometimes, even though I brew and hit numbers pretty consistently, there's that batch sometimes that just freaking nails it head on.

Well, I tend to brew the same handful of recipes over and over so it's hard for one or two batches to stand out.

I would say my Resignation Ale, brewed after I quit my job in 2006, was quite good.  And quite strong.  Probably close to a barley wine, but really just a strong ale.  Aged in bottles and the last one went into a glass sometime late last year or early this year.

The saison (pronounced "say, son") I brewed for my 1st daughters Christening.  Also quite strong.  The priest passed out in a chair later that day.  Perhaps he was just tired?

Maybe my first batch of clones of Chimay or Kwak.

These are really more my most memorable, rather than best.  Certainly subsequent batches of Chimay and Kwak have improved but nothing's really the same as the first good Belgian you brew.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:53 pm »
1. Saison -- 7.5 percent, made with rye and the White Labs Saison 1 yeast. Just opened a year-old bottle and it is perfect.

2. Pumpkin Porter -- 8 percent, chocolate and just a hint of the pumpkin spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove).

3. Belgian Wit/wine hybrid -- 5.5 percent Belgian wit with ginger and muscat grape juice.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »
Kolsch, Robust Porter and Belgian Pale Ale are my go-to answers for this, but I think I can add Dortmunder and Schwarzbier to the list.  Those are all consistent.  Single best batch?  probably a batch of RIS a couple years ago.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »
The best is yet to come, but soon.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »
I am right now tasting my first-ever fermentation-controlled homebrew, a Cal Common from a recipe called McSteamy. I'm having a major "whoa" moment. I've brewed this recipe before and it was pleasant, but this batch is... oh, mmmmm. Mmmmm. Like... me, I brewed this?!

My other best beers were a stretch where I was brewing Denny's RyePA, and despite lack of temp control it was really yummy, and my stouts.  I also have a batch of Janet's Brown Ale (pre-ferm-control) that came out nice.I still brew horrible Belgians, and I've brewed other beers I would rather forget. For the next several years my brewing time is hugely limited, so I may keep going back to the recipes I know work. Redoing everything with fermentation control would be a good move, methinks.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
Temp control is ever so oh so big time

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 08:20:51 pm »
My best brew was a Dopple dark Heffe...used about 2 cups of honey and added raspberries and blackberries...nailed it.  Tasted like Purple Haze's big brother.  Did it in '03 when I first started brewing and didn't know crap about the process...just threw stuff in the brew pot.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 08:27:53 pm »
My best brew was a Dopple dark Heffe...used about 2 cups of honey and added raspberries and blackberries...nailed it.  Tasted like Purple Haze's big brother.  Did it in '03 when I first started brewing and didn't know crap about the process...just threw stuff in the brew pot.

Isn't a dopple dark heffe just another name for weizenbock? ;D

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25:17 pm »
#1 Janet's brown ale! Tasty!

#2 Northern Brewer's Patersbier. Let me start with saying I do not prefer belgians. The first time I made this beer, I did not get the typical Phenolic flavors that are common in belgians. I got this clean crisp slighty fruity ester, with solid pils backbone. I have brewed it 3 times since and it always comes out too Belgian.

Cheers!

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:16 am »
My first beer because that's what started it all. It turned out pretty good and got me hooked on homebrewing immediately. If it didnt, who knows what I would be doing with any extra time I have and spare space in our basement, garage, and spare bedroom.

Maybe not my best but memorable beers:
My baby belgian ale brewed for the birth of our daughter
Stout and Hefe I brewed for my friend's wedding.
Dark side of the moon American Dark Ale BlackIPA IDA whatever.
Mark