Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?  (Read 17243 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:16 am »
had mostly lost my voice by the end of Pro Night.  Then I had Moonlight's habanero mead which was tasty but pretty much the last thing my throat needed.  After the typical airport nonsense I finally made it home last night.  Sore, exhausted, but smiling.
I think I had a noise hangover from Pro-Brewers Night. My friend had a decibel app that he said was pretty accurate compared to a real one he has at work. It registered 102.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:44 am »
had mostly lost my voice by the end of Pro Night.  Then I had Moonlight's habanero mead which was tasty but pretty much the last thing my throat needed.  After the typical airport nonsense I finally made it home last night.  Sore, exhausted, but smiling.
I think I had a noise hangover from Pro-Brewers Night. My friend had a decibel app that he said was pretty accurate compared to a real one he has at work. It registered 102.

Damn.  Good meeting you Jimmy!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 08:59:21 am »

It was crazy loud. I woke up with a sore throat and no voice for most of the day.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 09:53:19 am »
yeah, it was loud. At the back of the hall, on the way to take a leak, it was like a jet engine, or Lava Falls rapid in the Grand Canyon.

Still did not meet all of you guys. Next year.

Many commented on how great Philly was as a host city. GR should be a good host too, but is much smaller. Maybe not as many good beer bars, but more breweries in walking distance.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 10:01:06 am »
I'm feeling relatively normal today.  Great time up there but I wish I would have gotten to the forum meet up.  Went to Mcgillin's Olde Ale house with my club instead for dinner.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Grand Rapids next year. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 10:02:10 am »
I think my voice was an octave lower for a couple of days.  It was great meeting so many folks from the forum there.  Took it easy yesterday afternoon after getting home.  My wife and daughter had picked up a bunch of goodies from the Italian market on Saturday, so I snacked on that stuff all afternoon.  I seem to be pretty well recovered today.  I hope I can make it next year!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:07 am »
yeah, it was loud. At the back of the hall, on the way to take a leak, it was like a jet engine, or Lava Falls rapid in the Grand Canyon.
Exactly! Insanely loud white noise. 

Such an amazing event.  Being my first NHC it is definitely in my top 2 of beer events attended. 

I didn't get a chance to meet everyone either, but those I did get a chance too it was a pleasure.  Hopefully I'll meet the rest of you next year.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22:11 am »
If anyone still has any of the RGB Pilsner from the conference lying around you might want to get it out of the house:

I drank mine at the conference but a couple of club members had theirs explode on the way home.  The cans are way overcarbed.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25:56 am »
Had mine pop wide open on the way home. Was able to smell pilsner all the way!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:10 am »
If anyone still has any of the RGB Pilsner from the conference lying around you might want to get it out of the house:

I drank mine at the conference but a couple of club members had theirs explode on the way home.  The cans are way overcarbed.

We drank one right before the grand banquet. It was WAY overcarbed, and extremely yeasty. The other can was left at the after-party.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:51 am »
Hey, I just found out I took Gold in style 23!! Anyone know how to watch the podcast?
Was that your goze?  I judged the specialty category and really liked it.  I talked to one of the best of show judges, Phil Farrell, to see how far it went in bos, but evidently Gordon Strong, who is doing research on the style, had "some problems" with it.  I wish I knew what kind of problems.  Maybe you could email him and ask.
Good idea on rubber-banding the guide lines to the bottles.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 11:00:35 am »
I heard rumors of exploding cans Friday AM at the registration table.  Put mine in the car.  When I checked in on it just before the banquet it looked like the one pictured.  Very gently removed it, but apparently the walk toward the trash bin in the parking garage was too much - damn thing exploded in my hand.  Luckily just the top went, and luckily it sprayed (mostly) away from me.  Sounded like a bomb, but aside from a slight bruise I was unscathed.  Hope no one got hurt from one of those!  I suspect they rushed to can these for the event before they had fermented out.  Shouldn't you be filtering out the yeast if you are canning?
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:34 am »

Still did not meet all of you guys. Next year.

Many commented on how great Philly was as a host city. GR should be a good host too, but is much smaller. Maybe not as many good beer bars, but more breweries in walking distance.

I have to say that this was one of the best conference cities of all the ones I've been to, because of so much to do within walking distance of the hotel.  So many conferences have the hotel somewhere out near the airport and it takes a lot of effort to find the good beer places.
On the other hand I did not enjoy Pro Night or Club Night as much as in other NHC's, because of the crowds and the noise.  I guess they have some union laws that prevented the elaborate booths we've seen in the past.

I had to go to work today, and it sure is busy after having been off since Tuesday.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:33 am »

We were in a city? Who knew!  ;D  I only left the Marriott/Convention Center/Reading Terminal once.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 11:08:49 am »
On the other hand I did not enjoy Pro Night or Club Night as much as in other NHC's, because of the crowds and the noise.  I guess they have some union laws that prevented the elaborate booths we've seen in the past.
I was guessing it was east coast clubs who've never been to club night and haven't had years to build up an impressive booth - and west coast clubs not wanting to ship their booth out.

Maybe.  - The noise was tough. I left pro-night early because of it.
AHA Member since 2006