Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?  (Read 17245 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone Else Still Recovering from NHC?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 09:31:55 am »
I obviously didn't pick it up in Philly, but I've been fighting a similar cold for about 3 weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:26 am »
I keep going back to that glass washing station in Hospitality Room. Used it 2 or 3 times and then started having doubts about its sanitation.

I started to use it once, didn't get a good feeling about the sanitation, and went and rinsed my glass out with regular water.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:03 am »
Man, I haven't been this sick in years. Soar throat. Major lung congestion. High fever. Still haven't gotten better. Started feeling feverish before I left PA. Anyone else get sick? I keep going back to that glass washing station in Hospitality Room. Used it 2 or 3 times and then started having doubts about its sanitation.
My chest was pretty tight the past couple of days but feeling better today.  Hope you get well soon!

Dave

I have some chest congestion, but I haven't been healthy since May (vacation).  Feel better soon, Keith!  Maybe some of that DIPA will help knock that crap outta ya!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 10:10:09 am »
I keep going back to that glass washing station in Hospitality Room. Used it 2 or 3 times and then started having doubts about its sanitation.

I started to use it once, didn't get a good feeling about the sanitation, and went and rinsed my glass out with regular water.

My first reaction was "ewwww" then I saw everyone else using and figured "they" wouldn't put a wash station out that wasn't perfectly sanitary. Should have gone with my instincts. OTOH a guy I met named "Bobby" came up, drunk, and shook my hand and only after he shook my hand I realized he was sick. Went to wash my hands immediately but who knows.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 10:20:41 am »
Man, I haven't been this sick in years. Soar throat. Major lung congestion. High fever. Still haven't gotten better. Started feeling feverish before I left PA. Anyone else get sick? I keep going back to that glass washing station in Hospitality Room. Used it 2 or 3 times and then started having doubts about its sanitation.
I never even got a hangover, although I should have.  :-) 

I passed on using that glass washing station.  Felt safer drinking from my own dirty glass. 

Hope you feel better soon!
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2013, 10:33:52 am »
My legs are still a little soar from walking around the conference and Philly. I must have walked about 10 miles a day from Tuesday thru Sunday. What an excellent conference. Glad to hear most everyone had a great time.

Club Night was the best. So many beers, too little time. I stopped at every single booth, some 80+ and got a total keg count. I'll tally the numbers and report back soon.

Hope to see many of you in Grand Rapids next June.
Ron Price

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2013, 10:57:11 am »
If anyone still has any of the RGB Pilsner from the conference lying around you might want to get it out of the house:

I drank mine at the conference but a couple of club members had theirs explode on the way home.  The cans are way overcarbed.

There was a perfect can sized space directly behind the safe that was in the hotel closet.  That is where my can is.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 11:02:50 am »

I woke up Saturday morning with a really bad sore throat but I think it was because our room was very dry and I was yelling over the 102dB from the night before. I did not use the glass washing station in the Hospitality room.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »
There is  a lot of stuff making the rounds this summer.  One of my daughters came home with a cold 3 weeks ago.  I took her almost 2 weeks to shake it off.  That's forever for a 15 year old.

I hope everyone fells better soon.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with karma payback for all of us who weren't able to get to Philly.   ;D  It's nice to hear everyone had a good time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »
My wife is uber sick - started yesterday. Luckily I have a cast iron immune system.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »
Good info here. If we go to GR we will wear tyvex and carry a spray bottle of starsan

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:53 am »
I used the glass cleaner brushes once and thought against it afterwards.  I just used the water rinse for the rest of the conference.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 07:15:04 am »
Hey, I just found out I took Gold in style 23!! Anyone know how to watch the podcast?
Was that your goze?  I judged the specialty category and really liked it.  I talked to one of the best of show judges, Phil Farrell, to see how far it went in bos, but evidently Gordon Strong, who is doing research on the style, had "some problems" with it.  I wish I knew what kind of problems.  Maybe you could email him and ask.
Good idea on rubber-banding the guide lines to the bottles.

Gose? It was a Gratzer.  Very nice small beer.  Hint of acidity along with a low level of oak smoke.  Very tasty.  I was curious if my comments on Gratz water that I posted on the forum were useful for this beer?  I mentioned that the water profile posted in the Zymurgy article may not produce the ideal conditions for a Gratzer. 

+1 on getting those Pils cans away from people.  I took mine to the bathroom sink at the hotel.  It went off like a gunshot. 

The issue with unions and catering contracts really worries me for the future of club nights at convention centers.  The restrictions on how the clubs were able to express themselves with food and beverage is disheartening.  In my opinion, food restrictions at club night must be negotiated away when we are negotiating with a city to host.  That might be a long shot, but its something I've missed at the past few conferences. 

Overall, Philly was a fantastic conference and the city was very enjoyable.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:34 am »
We had to extend the abuse, and went to Rehoboth Beach for 2 nights. DFH of course, and found a happy hour across the street that had pints of Troegenator for $3.50 and a half pound of shrimp for $4.50. Abuse insued.

Drove back yesterday. Always good to get home.

Who funds the conference beers these days? How are the breweries selected? Just asking.

Martin - really enjoyed the historic water talk, might rate that highest from my perspective. I had asked the guy who wrote the Zymurgy article on Graetzer/Grodziskie and asked about the water and did they adjust, his reply was that they do an acid rest. Do you think that would be enough to get the pH right?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 07:32:28 am »
We had to extend the abuse, and went to Rehoboth Beach for 2 nights. DFH of course, and found a happy hour across the street that had pints of Troegenator for $3.50 and a half pound of shrimp for $4.50. Abuse insued.

That's impressive Jeff.  Good meeting you.

Dave
Dave Zach