Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops in pots 2013 (second year)  (Read 9762 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Hops in pots 2013 (second year)
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:01 pm »
I planted March 31st. My cascade are already at about 7 feet!

Cascade at about 5 weeks by ccfoo242, on Flickr

I need to add a third string (I ran out). Since I'm in Florida I refrigerated the roots from January to the end of March. Very happy with how fast they're growing.

My Zeus finally started growing, I had to dig them back up because I put them too deep. So they haven't had as much time as the cascade.

Zeus at about 5 weeks by ccfoo242, on Flickr

These have everything going against them. They are facing west and only get sun from about 2-3pm to sundown. But I think this helps prevent them from burning up in the Florida sun.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Hops in pots 2013 (second year)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:19 am »
wow that is way better than I am doing here in Texas.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:13 am »
It's a beautiful thing! Looks as if you have a green thumb. :)

My Cascade are really coming on strong this year so far. I recently started some Centennial, but it will be a couple of years bfore I'll see any significant production from them.
Ron Price

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:22 am »
I don't know what I'm doing that is making them grow so well. Lots of water and fertilizer? I didn't have many options when planting them so I'm happy to have any growth at all.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:52:49 am »
How is this even possible already?  :o

Cascade already growing hops:

Zeus have reached the balcony:

Cascade are getting there:

I cut back a lot of lower leaves and extra shoots that were popping up with the cascades. I have no idea how they can be producing hops already. Saw sine kind of bugs on the leaves today so I sprayed with insecticidal soap.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Hops in pots 2013 (second year)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:35:47 pm »

Here's one of my cascade pushing 8' already, my centennial are only at about 4-5' , all are in their second year and Chicago has been quite cold all spring, they really didn't break ground until early-mid April!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »
Wow, I'm jealous!  This is the first year for me and my cascade just broke ground about 2 weeks ago.  It was a snowy Spring this year in the Denver area, so maybe that had something to do with it or maybe it's just that it's the first year.  I'm not looking for anything in terms of harvest this year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do this year and compare them to next year.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »
Saw sine kind of bugs on the leaves today so I sprayed with insecticidal soap.
You should probably identify the bugs before you start spraying with soap.  There are beneficial bugs too :)

I killed some weird looking bugs on my hops one year, only to find out that they were juvenile ladybugs and were eating the aphids on the hops.  These guys are your friends:

Tom Schmidlin

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 08:49:44 am »

You should probably identify the bugs before you start spraying with soap.  There are beneficial bugs too :)

They are almost visible in one of the pictures. They had white wings and black body:

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:42:32 pm »
I have no idea :)  I can't make out anything in that picture, but you might be able to google your description and find a matching picture.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »

They are almost visible in one of the pictures. They had white wings and black body:

Total shot in the dark on that picture but it kind of looks like the wasps that kill aphids. If that is the case, then the good news is that the wasps are helping kill the aphids. The bad news is that you have aphids. If you good wasp and aphid together you'll find more info about the wasps.

I have been spraying neem oil diluted in water on my vegetable and hop plants getting attacked by aphids. So far it seems to temporarily scare off the (good) wasps and lady bugs but scares the aphids off for a long time. The predators will return but the aphids come back in fewer numbers. So that seems to be working ok.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 07:00:18 pm »
That's great !!!!! I grow hops in containers ( very large containers btw ). My Chinook which I never even brought inside over the winter I just followed the cover with hay method most ground growers utilize and my Chinook plant here in upstate NY is over 17 feet tall already !!!! just starting to grow "cones" you know those little shoots that are fuzzy at the end. I can't believe how fast it took off this year. My EKG and Cascade are following suit with your at about 7-9 feet. Great job with your hops keep up the good work and you'll be rewarded soon enough.
don't worry I'll drink it !!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
I wonder if a mix of hop oil and water would chase them off?