Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to use a Ranco 2-stage Temp Controller  (Read 8726 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Re: How to use a Ranco 2-stage Temp Controller
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

The 77F is in the display.  I assume it's the ambient temp.  I have the temp probe inside the fridge, in an empty White Labs tube that's filled with water.   I have the cooling set for 65F with a 3 degree differential, and the heating is set for 55F with a 3 degree differential.  There shouldn't be any overlap.

I don't think you want the probe wet.

I set mine with both heat and cool at 65 with 2° diff. If it's warm out I just unplug my heat source

It seems like you have everything set up just right. I too bought mine directly from ETC. They had good customer service (last year), so hopefully they can help.

BTW - The probes are waterproof. I either have my probes in water or taped to the carboy.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: How to use a Ranco 2-stage Temp Controller
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 06:26:58 am »
Cool. I have mine taped to the interior wall.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 06:32:52 am »
BTW - The probes are waterproof. I either have my probes in water or taped to the carboy.
Sorry Amanda, the probes MAY be water resistant, but I can say from experience that the are not waterproof (immersible).
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 06:46:07 am »
Yeah - they probably could hold up in water, but most vendors (my LHBS included) says to not count on it.

The single-stange Johnson probe is all stainless, and it definitely is waterproof.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 06:47:56 am »
As far as the Ranco - they are pretty solid machines.

Maybe you have the heating/cooling functions set incorrectly? Or maybe the you've set the offset to your temp setpoint instead of the actual temp setting.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:11 am »

Maybe you have the heating/cooling functions set incorrectly? Or maybe the you've set the offset to your temp setpoint instead of the actual temp setting.

I'm pretty certain it's hooked up right.  I have "S1" for cooling, which is set for 65F (room temp is 77F) with a 3 degree diff.  This is set up as C1.  Next, I have S2m which is set for heating at 55F with a 3 degree diff.  This is H2.

I tried switching things, thinking maybe S1 and S2 were switched when it was wired.

I'm waiting to hear back from customer service (an oxymoron if there ever was one) at ETC.

I'm really looking forward to your "House Sour" seminar at the conference, BTW! 
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:58 am »
Yeah - they probably could hold up in water, but most vendors (my LHBS included) says to not count on it.

The single-stange Johnson probe is all stainless, and it definitely is waterproof.

Hmm. Good to know! Guess I've been testing it's limits for a while now... whoops
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:33 am »

I'm pretty certain it's hooked up right.  I have "S1" for cooling, which is set for 65F (room temp is 77F) with a 3 degree diff.  This is set up as C1.  Next, I have S2m which is set for heating at 55F with a 3 degree diff.  This is H2.

I tried switching things, thinking maybe S1 and S2 were switched when it was wired.

I'm waiting to hear back from customer service (an oxymoron if there ever was one) at ETC.

Well that sounds like the correct setup. You may just have a loose wire on one of the relays.

The Ranco controller manual give you a schematic, and I'm pretty sure MoreBeer wired it up similarly. You can unplug it, open it up, and check the connections.

If that doesn't work, you may have a fried relay, in which MoreBeer should just set you up with an exchange.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:31 am »

Well that sounds like the correct setup. You may just have a loose wire on one of the relays.

The Ranco controller manual give you a schematic, and I'm pretty sure MoreBeer wired it up similarly. You can unplug it, open it up, and check the connections.

If that doesn't work, you may have a fried relay, in which MoreBeer should just set you up with an exchange.

I didn't get it from MoreBeer (gasp).  I got it from ETC, a specialty supplier in Ohio.  I'm fairly certain there is a lose wire, but I'm afraid to open it because it might void the warranty, and I'm clueless with wiring.  Hopefully, an exchange is in order.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 04:02:01 am »
Just returned from the NHC and found my replacement controller waiting for me.  It works like a champ.  Thanks for your help, folks.