Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann burner first impression  (Read 9742 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Blichmann burner first impression
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:28:13 am »
Really quiet and really fast. I wish I could meet a woman like it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Blichmann burner first impression
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »
Well Blichmann's always making advances... ;)
Trey W.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:13:41 pm »
Slowly backs away ...
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »
I fired up my Blichmann for the first time today, too. Dang thing is near silent. Library quiet, at least.

Did you have any trouble adjusting the flame? (Regulator vs. air louvre) It seemed OK at first but the temp stalled at around 160F so I started messing with it, don't know if that helped any. Overall it seemed a bit slow to get 5 gallons up to a boil.

I was getting a lot of heat wash around the bottom of the kettle, not so much farther up. Could barely touch the valve handle despite it having a heat shield attached.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »
If that burner seems slow, you don't have it adjusted right. Play with the air to get a nice clean blue flame with little or no yellow on the tips, then open that needle valve and step back.  It does throw a fairly large flame pattern so adjust to make sure the flame stays under your pot not licking up the side. I made a piece of flashing that forms a semi circle about an inch out and around 3/4 of my pot (not the valve or sight glass/thermometer area).
This helps tremendously with the heating in that it redirects the very hot air up the sides of the kettle instead of out, further saving heating time and fuel.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »
You may have a bad batch of propane too.
Trey W.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »
Mine brought my wort to a boil so fast I couldn't slow it down before getting a major boil over. It was so quiet it was deceptive. when it hit 200 I throttled back about a quarter of the way. That wasn't near enough. It will take some getting used to but once I do I am going to love this thing. For one thing once the boil was going I could not believe the precision I could control it with. 7 gallons of liquid was simply too small of amount for it. No challenge for it at all. Once I get a feel for the thing I think it will save me not only time, but propane as well.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
There's a good youtube vid from blichmann on adjusting the flame.  In a nutshell, you don't want yellow tips and you don't want the flame "jumping" up from the burner.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline jskiles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:53:56 am »
Really quiet and really fast. I wish I could meet a woman like it.

Man this almost made me spit out my lunch.  Love my blichman burner as well.  It's definately a huge improvement over my Bayou Classic SP10 in every way.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:53 pm »
So, is the burner used in the Blichmann basically the same thing as a Bayou Classic KAB4?  Looks like it from the pics.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:10:46 am »
So, is the burner used in the Blichmann basically the same thing as a Bayou Classic KAB4?  Looks like it from the pics.

It sure does look like it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:15:10 am »

It sure does look like it.

Actually, a guy in my club confirmed that they're the same. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 01:47:25 pm »
They are the same; or so close I cant tell the difference. My first burner was the bayou sp10. Lasted about 12+ yrs before the cast iron port just crumbled where the gas line ties in. Bought a banjo burner thinking it would fit the stand. It didn't. Bought a Blinchman cause that's what my LHBS had in stock and noticed right away it was the same burner as the new banjo I had at home. So, bought it off the shelf and sold the extra on to a buddy.

Don't know who actually casts the burner, but it appears he's selling to both Bayou and Blinchman.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:31 pm »
Got a KAB6 today, take it that this is the same burner and holy smokes is it hot. Worked awesome on a 15 gal boil. Had the first runnings boiling before I got the sparge done. Very happy so far.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
They are the same; or so close I cant tell the difference. My first burner was the bayou sp10. Lasted about 12+ yrs before the cast iron port just crumbled where the gas line ties in. Bought a banjo burner thinking it would fit the stand. It didn't. Bought a Blinchman cause that's what my LHBS had in stock and noticed right away it was the same burner as the new banjo I had at home. So, bought it off the shelf and sold the extra on to a buddy.

Don't know who actually casts the burner, but it appears he's selling to both Bayou and Blinchman.

reading the product description on northern brewer it seems to be that the blichman is all stainless while the kab4 is cast iron. I don't know if this is actually true but either it is and that explains the price difference or it isn't and northern brewer is doing some serious false advertising.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce