Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP630  (Read 9049 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: WLP630
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:07 am »
May want to try a sour mash/sour wort instead.

I don't recommend this method cause I can't back it up with successful experience.

This is the summer of the kettle/mash sour for me. After I get it down, maybe I can demystify it a bit for others.

I've done several sour worted beers and all have turned out fantastic. Tart but clean. I've never had the bad experiences other people have. Maybe it's because I don't sour the whole mash with the grains left behind.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »

I've done several sour worted beers and all have turned out fantastic. Tart but clean. I've never had the bad experiences other people have. Maybe it's because I don't sour the whole mash with the grains left behind.

So, do you sour about a third or so of a full batch, then rack and add it to cooled wort that has been pitched with a neutral yeast strain for the balance?  Or do you blend after the yeast ferments?  That sounds interesting.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »
My friends method is to sour the whole wort. Inoculate with 1 lb of new grain. Hold 24 hours at 100 in a cooler. Then quickly boil, cool, and pitch yeast. You must keep oxygen out while souring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958