Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bourbon barrel porter recipe formulated  (Read 8583 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Bourbon barrel porter recipe formulated
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:03:28 am »
I brewed this last week. The OG came out to 1.069

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ralph's Bourbon Barrel Porter
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph The Wonderdog
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 37.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        70.8 %       
2 lbs                 Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)             Grain         2        16.7 %       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         3        4.2 %         
8.0 oz                Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain         4        4.2 %         
4.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         5        2.1 %         
4.0 oz                Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)         Grain         6        2.1 %         
1.00 oz               Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - First Wor Hop           7        25.8 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop           8        14.2 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]  Yeast         9        -             
1.00 oz               Oak Chips (Primary 7.0 days)             Flavor        10       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs

Yesterday I took the lid off to add the chips and bourbon (1 oz chips soaked in 8 oz bourbon for a week) While the lid was off I dropped the hydrometer in and got a 1.026 reading. Given I mashed at nearly 160F and used a low attenuating yeast I expect an FG of around 1.020 to 1.023. I took a taste while I had the lid off. This porter is spectacular. Adding the munich to bump the ABV was a good choice. After dumping the bourbon and chips in I took another taste. PERFECT! I am really looking forward to when this beer is ready.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Bourbon barrel porter recipe formulated
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:42 am »
sounds really good. looks a lot like my porter recipe, except I think I didn't use any roasted/black barley. the munich is really the bomb in this style. I mean I love munich malt anyway, put it in almost everything, but this style particularly really benefits from the rich fruity maltiness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:04:42 am »
sounds really good. looks a lot like my porter recipe, except I think I didn't use any roasted/black barley. the munich is really the bomb in this style. I mean I love munich malt anyway, put it in almost everything, but this style particularly really benefits from the rich fruity maltiness.
+1.  Munich is very underrated in porter and stout.  Looks great !  I made a "bourbon barrel" milk stout a few months back that came out great, and I used the chips and bourbon the same way.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:40 am »
+1.  Munich is very underrated in porter and stout.  Looks great !  I made a "bourbon barrel" milk stout a few months back that came out great, and I used the chips and bourbon the same way.

Special B is also great in a porter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »

And here I expected you to say "Brown Malt" :)
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »
And here I expected you to say "Brown Malt" :)

Yeah, and that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:07 am »

Thank you for my "why didn't I think of that" moment of the day. Special B is definitely going in my next porter rebrew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »
I tried one of these saturday after the beer fest and it tasted bland. I was really buzzed then from everything I sampled. I just poured one a few minutes ago and I must say I got everything right on this. 10 days in the bottle and I have a really nice porter with a slightly detectable oak flavor and a nice noticable bourbon touch. This will make a fine birthday beer in November.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:31:41 am »
This will make a fine birthday beer in November.

As long as it lasts until November...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:39:57 am »
good point
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS