Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Finals Scorecards  (Read 14306 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: NHC Finals Scorecards
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:34:28 am »
They were slightly different, but you'll get them. Second round uses the checklist scoresheet with fewer written comments.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_checklist.pdf

Kind of bummed to see that >:(  Just like a lot of us, I enter comps for feedback and dialing in brewing processes/recipes.  Pretty hard to do unless you receive written comments!!

The theory is that you got feedback in the first round.  We used to use the same scoresheets for the second round, but it became impossible to do all the judging in the time we had when we used the traditional sheets.  That said, I still write lots of comments on the checkbox sheets.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:18 am »
The scoresheets were not my favorite.  I found them difficult to provide decent feedback, so by the end I was writing on them anyway.  They definitely did not speed up judging, we were still running 15 minutes or so a beer.

Really?  I find that for me and the people I judge with it's more like 6-7 min. per beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 10:52:06 am »
I think the checklist formatted scorecards provide a quicker/efficient means to communicate feedback, on almost every aspect of the beer plus some, and if there's something else that I wanted to include I would provide some written comments in the extra space provided, which was the case for every beer that I judged in this year's final round.

IMO, the checklist format allows for more information to be communicated to the brewer, as opposed to the "written only" format which comes back with the comments and highlights of the beer. The checklist enables/directs the judge to review every aspect of the entry, as opposed to what's on the top of the judges mind.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:26 am »
What I like about the checklist is that it provides a common vocabulary for all the judges, so it eliminates the vagaries of terminology.  I once read a scoresheet where the judge described a beer as "tanky".  WTF does that mean?  The checkboxes eliminate that, or at least cut it down since the judge would have to write that kind of comment separately.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
So is it a possibility we will transition to using these check sheets in regular comps in the future?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »
What I like about the checklist is that it provides a common vocabulary for all the judges, so it eliminates the vagaries of terminology.  I once read a scoresheet where the judge described a beer as "tanky".  WTF does that mean?  The checkboxes eliminate that, or at least cut it down since the judge would have to write that kind of comment separately.

For some reason I feel like I would describe you as "tanky".   ;)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
So is it a possibility we will transition to using these check sheets in regular comps in the future?

That's up to the organizer of the comp.  Personally, I'm not sure that's a good idea for most comps.  But as long as it didn't discourage judges from writing comments, also, they might be OK.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline capnjb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

Did you not get feedback in the first round?

If you're just looking for feedback, then another, more local competition might be better suited to that. I tend to treat NHC as a place I only send my best beers.

On the homebrewtalk forums you justified the high cost of the competition with - "Also, at $12 for what is essentially TWO competitions, I think this is a fair price."

So is it one?  Or two?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 08:50:00 am »

Did you not get feedback in the first round?

If you're just looking for feedback, then another, more local competition might be better suited to that. I tend to treat NHC as a place I only send my best beers.

On the homebrewtalk forums you justified the high cost of the competition with - "Also, at $12 for what is essentially TWO competitions, I think this is a fair price."

So is it one?  Or two?

It's one competition with two sets of organizing costs, and thus costs more.

And again, there was feedback given on every single one of the 30 Category 3 beers we judged.  There were also 3 judges for most teams vs only 2 for most First Round entries.  So 2 or (usually) 3 sets of feedback from judges of which 54% were National and 13% were Master.  Some Pros too.

narvin

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:12 am »
I for one am waiting to actually receive my scoresheet before I get up on the internet and complain  ;)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:19 am »
I for one am waiting to actually receive my scoresheet before I get up on the internet and complain  ;)

Good idea!!

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 11:30:05 am »
Do the final round scorecards get mailed out?

I would like brew my beer that made it to finals again thus month, but I would like to tweak it in the positive direction.
Hi Frank,

The score sheets are currently on a truck en route from Philadelphia to Boulder, CO.  This usually takes 1 week after the conference concludes.  After that, it will take me another week to 2 weeks to mail all of the score sheets and ship all of the prizes that were not picked up at the Awards Ceremony.  You can expect to receive your score sheet about the 3rd week of July.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »
Do the final round scorecards get mailed out?

I would like brew my beer that made it to finals again thus month, but I would like to tweak it in the positive direction.
Hi Frank,

The score sheets are currently on a truck en route from Philadelphia to Boulder, CO.  This usually takes 1 week after the conference concludes.  After that, it will take me another week to 2 weeks to mail all of the score sheets and ship all of the prizes that were not picked up at the Awards Ceremony.  You can expect to receive your score sheet about the 3rd week of July.

Cheers,
Janis

Thanks Janis! This the exact answer I wanted. I didn't mean to start a ruckus with all of the nonsensual complaining.
Frank

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 05:16:22 pm »

Thanks Janis! This the exact answer I wanted. I didn't mean to start a ruckus with all of the nonsensual complaining.

I for one prefer sensual complaining. :P :P
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

kev

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »
scores are up too, by the way, in case anyone did not know that yet.  On the entry page.