Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Finals Scorecards  (Read 14293 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC Finals Scorecards
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 07:41:47 am »
scores are up too, by the way, in case anyone did not know that yet.  On the entry page.

Cool... Thanks. I did not know that.

Looks like my entry scored higher in the finals than it did to take first in the regionals... Still not enough to get a medal.... Next year!
Frank

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
scores are up too, by the way, in case anyone did not know that yet.  On the entry page.

Looks like my entry scored higher in the finals than it did to take first in the regionals... Still not enough to get a medal.... Next year!
Great job getting into the final round!  That is a win in itself.  I've entered the last two years and have yet to move on into the final round.  Next year is my theme song ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »

Great job getting into the final round!  That is a win in itself.  I've entered the last two years and have yet to move on into the final round.  Next year is my theme song ;)

Thanks! By no means am I bummed about not placing, but it would have been pretty epic winning a medal on my second all-grain brew... I brewed it July 31, 2012. I looked back at my journal to get the exact recipe to submit. It's funny how much I didn't know what I was doing and then funnier how well it actually turned out.
Frank

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »
Wow - the competition must have been stiff in Belgian Strong. My beer got a 46.3 but did not place.

No score on one of my entries so I am not sure what went on there.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:11 pm »
Wow - the competition must have been stiff in Belgian Strong. My beer got a 46.3 but did not place.

Did you already get your scoresheets back?  Or are you viewing your scores on the website?

46.3 and not place?  Wow indeed!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 02:11:29 pm »

Did you already get your scoresheets back?  Or are you viewing your scores on the website?

Hi All,

Here is an update on the score sheets.  The truck has not arrived in Boulder yet.  As long as that is the case, it pushes out the expected turn around for the score sheets, medals, and prizes.  Sorry for the delay.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »

Hi All,

Here is an update on the score sheets.  The truck has not arrived in Boulder yet.  As long as that is the case, it pushes out the expected turn around for the score sheets, medals, and prizes.  Sorry for the delay.

Cheers,
Janis

Geez, Janis, you mea you didn't drive it yourself?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:01 pm »
Hi Denny,

I sure missed you in Philadelphia!  I think there is a clause in my contract about not climbing ladders or driving big trucks while the National Homebrew Competition is not yet completed.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »
Hi Denny,

I sure missed you in Philadelphia!  I think there is a clause in my contract about not climbing ladders or driving big trucks while the National Homebrew Competition is not yet completed.

Cheers,
Janis

:)

Wish I could have been there, Janis!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »
The scoresheets were not my favorite.  I found them difficult to provide decent feedback, so by the end I was writing on them anyway.  They definitely did not speed up judging, we were still running 15 minutes or so a beer.

Sounds like your group was unfamiliar with the score sheet or something else is wrong. An experienced judge should be able to fill out a traditional score sheet in an average of 10 min. If people are taking longer they need to work on their speed. The tick sheet is definitely faster as Denny noted. Now three people on a team ALWAYS is slower than just having two and if you are changing categories you may need to review the guidelines which takes time.

I did 11 beers in both rounds and in the afternoon had to completely fill in the cider score sheets. In the morning we were clipping along about 7 or 8 min per beer and also took some breaks and talked some smack. In the afternoon probably a similar pace, but were filling in the sheets cider sheets completely.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 10:08:52 am »
Hi Everyone,

This is an update on the mailing of the score sheets, and shipping of the medals, and prizes.  Typically the truck with all of the AHA's gear leaves the conference city on the Monday following the conference and takes about 1 week to deliver the stuff to our warehouse in Boulder, CO.  That is not the case this year.

This year, we had 2 truck loads of gear to ship from Philadelphia to Boulder.  One truck loaded with the bars and beer serving equipment left on the Monday following the conference and arrived in Boulder yesterday.  The second truck with all of the competition gear did not leave until this week.  This means that the competition stuff is still in transit.  The mailing and shipping will commence next week after the truck delivers everything.  I apologize for the additional delay.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:37 am »
Thanks for the update.

For future conferences, I like the idea of putting the scoresheets out after the banquet so people attending can pick them up.  I looked this year but didn't see them.  Was that something that is normally done or just in Seattle?

I do like the new competition software that has the ability to show the scores in the second round.  Maybe in a few years, the technology will be there to load copies of the scoresheets online too without having someone sit at a scanner and manually upload them.

Thanks for all you efforts and a great conference.  On Sunday I wan't sure if I was going to make it to Grand Rapids, but I've already made up my mind to go!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:40 am »
Thanks for the update.

For future conferences, I like the idea of putting the scoresheets out after the banquet so people attending can pick them up.  I looked this year but didn't see them.  Was that something that is normally done or just in Seattle?

I do like the new competition software that has the ability to show the scores in the second round.  Maybe in a few years, the technology will be there to load copies of the scoresheets online too without having someone sit at a scanner and manually upload them.

Thanks for all you efforts and a great conference.  On Sunday I wan't sure if I was going to make it to Grand Rapids, but I've already made up my mind to go!
Hi Stephen,

The ability to distribute the score sheets at the end of the Awards Ceremony is completely dependent on the local organizer and their competition staff.  That's why it happens some years and doesn't happen on others. 

Thanks for the suggestion about having the score sheets online.  That would be great, but I'm not sure how we can do it easily if we're still writing on paper forms with a pencil.  I'll definitely look into it!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator