General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Bottle Bombs, ...oh my.

<< < (3/3)

cornershot:

--- Quote from: gmwren on July 07, 2013, 06:29:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Big Al on July 07, 2013, 06:17:21 AM ---If you bottle at 7200' and drink it at 7200' I would guess you'd be fine(with a fully attenuated beer). If you open the beer at a much lower altitude, it will likely be undercarbonated. Take it to a much higher altitude and it will gush.
I once had Anchor porter (sea level) at an 8000' ski resort and it shot out of that bottle like Old Faithful.

--- End quote ---
I suspect your porter was infected. I've opened many a sea level brewed beer well above 12,000 feet with no "Old Faithfuls."

--- End quote ---

Hmmm. Some friends I was visiting who lived there said it was typical for bottled beer to gush at that altitude. Guess I'll have to unlearn that?

Jimmy K:
Ambient air pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi. Ambient at 7000 feet is 11.3 psi. If the pressure in a bottle with 3.0 volumes CO2 is 44.1 psi. Then a beer with 3.0 volumes CO2 at sea level would be at 3.9 volumes at 7000 feet. That's overcarbonated, but probably not enough to be a gusher.

By the same math, a 2.0 vol beer would be 2.6 at 7000 feet.

A 2.5 vol beer would be 3.25 at 7000 feet.

Disclaimer: This math is the product of my own logic.

brewmonk:
You need to be aware of:
1) your finishing gravity, was it correct?  This is the biggest factor. 1 Plato can add about 5 grams/Liter of CO2.  If your beer finished out as it should, this is not a problem, and need not be accounted for.

2) temperature. There is a residual amount of CO2 in the beer due to the temperature.  The colder the beer, the more residual CO2 there is.  You can find charts online to tell you the amount of CO2 in the beer (John Palmer's "How to Brew" site has a good chart. Also Braukaiser.com.

3) Amount of bottling sugar, based on the above info, you need to fill in the rest of your CO2 need with sugar or fermentables.
Braukaiser is good for that also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version