General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Bottle Bombs, ...oh my.

<< < (2/3) > >>

klickitat jim:
Alt only changes boil temp. About 198 at 7000' vs 212 at sea level IIRC

bboy9000:

--- Quote from: jchaynes on July 01, 2013, 10:49:20 PM ---
Finally, and this is something that I did not take into consideration any, is that I am at 7200 ft.  Can this altitude have an effect on brewing like it does with baking and cooking?

--- End quote ---

The altitude issue was raised on an episode of the Sunday Session on the BN about a month ago and nobody knew the answer to it, but it seems unlikely to affect the gravity by 1.008 but I don't actually know.  Another variable to consider is the temperature for the sach rest.  What was the temperature suppose to be? If it was too hight the wort may not have been as fermentable. 

Also consider your yeast pitching.  Did you need to make a starter? How old was the yeast?  What was the fermentation temperature?  What strain if yeast did you use.

Like mtnrockhopper mentioned, what was the OG.  An FG of 1.020 would likely be fine in a high gravity wort.  There are many variables to consider and taking good notes will help in determining the cause.

cornershot:
If you bottle at 7200' and drink it at 7200' I would guess you'd be fine(with a fully attenuated beer). If you open the beer at a much lower altitude, it will likely be undercarbonated. Take it to a much higher altitude and it will gush.
I once had Anchor porter (sea level) at an 8000' ski resort and it shot out of that bottle like Old Faithful.

gmwren:
I brewed for awhile at 7200' as well and yes, the boil temp is reduced. In discussions with the former brewer at Dillon Dam Brewery (~9300') he increased his boil time for better hop utilization. That will have an effect on final volume, but that's an easy problem to fix. Otherwise there should not be an issue with altitude.

gmwren:

--- Quote from: Big Al on July 07, 2013, 06:17:21 AM ---If you bottle at 7200' and drink it at 7200' I would guess you'd be fine(with a fully attenuated beer). If you open the beer at a much lower altitude, it will likely be undercarbonated. Take it to a much higher altitude and it will gush.
I once had Anchor porter (sea level) at an 8000' ski resort and it shot out of that bottle like Old Faithful.

--- End quote ---
I suspect your porter was infected. I've opened many a sea level brewed beer well above 12,000 feet with no "Old Faithfuls."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version