General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Vinegar Flavor

(1/3) > >>

hang5lngbd:
My recent batches have all had a vinegar flavor to them. From my research so far I gather that they are probably getting contaminated. However, this last batch was so clean I don't see how it could be so.

Equipment that touches the wort:
Glass carboy - old but well sanitized
Copper coil wort chiller - sanitized and put in at 20min on the boil
Plastic Funnel. - Bought a new one and sanitized it
Metal aerator - Well sanitized

If anybody can think of something causing this problem it would be much appreciated.

Gaffer

tygo:
What exactly is the metal aerator?  Are you talking about a stainless steel diffusion stone or a mix-stir or something else?

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: hang5lngbd on July 01, 2013, 09:39:49 PM --- From my research so far I gather that they are probably getting contaminated. However, this last batch was so clean I don't see how it could be so.

--- End quote ---

So was the last batch unaffected by the vinegar?

Either way, vinegar usually comes from acetobacter. Acetobacter is a bacteria that thrives on oxygen and uncleanliness. Can you go into more detail on your process?

hang5lngbd:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on July 02, 2013, 05:05:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: hang5lngbd on July 01, 2013, 09:39:49 PM --- From my research so far I gather that they are probably getting contaminated. However, this last batch was so clean I don't see how it could be so.

--- End quote ---

So was the last batch unaffected by the vinegar?

Either way, vinegar usually comes from acetobacter. Acetobacter is a bacteria that thrives on oxygen and uncleanliness. Can you go into more detail on your process?

--- End quote ---

My last batch smells / tastes terrible - vinegary as well.

After the beer has cooled I put my aerator into the carboy before pitching the yeast. I use an oxygen canister connected to a diffusion stone like device and the beer is aerated in 20seconds or so. I cleaned it well enough I think.

Just for kicks, I'll not aerate today and report back.

denny:
So, what about your cleaning process?  You can't sanitize something that isn't clean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version