General Category > Beer Recipes

90 miunte bittering charge harshness

(1/3) > >>

DrewG:
Just tapped an IPA, more or less a blind pig clone. I've done it a number of times before, and it's usually one of my favorites. I was cross checking my old brewing logs with a published version of the recipe just to make sure i hadn't wandered too far away from the core beer, and I noticed that the RR version used a 90 minute (I'm sure for the sake of utilization) bittering charge instead of the 60 I had done in the past. So thats what I went with. 3/4 oz of Chinook and 1/2 oz Columbus for roughly 50 of the 60 IBU's total. The result was a really harsh bitterness, almost solventy in the nose and really not all that pleasant to my palate. It dominated the flavor of the beer.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

denny:
Nope, never had that happen. 

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: denny on July 02, 2013, 08:27:40 AM ---Nope, never had that happen.

--- End quote ---

Me either.  Sounds like a water or fermentation issue, perhaps.

duboman:
How fresh we're the hops? Old hops can do that sometimes

DrewG:
Normal fermentation, pitched at 64 and fermented at 66 with 090. Ramped to 69 for a d-rest toward the end.  I did raise the sulfate to 200 ppm from 150 and mashed a little cooler (149). Hops were less than a year old, vac sealed and kept in freezer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version