Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Choice for Imperial Porter?  (Read 5360 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Yeast Choice for Imperial Porter?
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:53 am »
A pro-brewer friend provided a recipe for an imperial porter and suggested the following for the yeast.

"Good attenuating, malt accentuating, low ester producing ale strain. Look at the English & Scottish strains - find one without heavy aroma/estery character."

The starting OG is 1.084 and it should finish around 1.015.

Can someone suggest a good attenuating, malt accentuating, low ester producing English/Scottish ale yeast strain that would compliment an imperial porter?

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Yeast Choice for Imperial Porter?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:43:35 am »
WLP005 or 007, depending on what you mean by "good attenuating".  005 may leave you more of the maltiness you are looking for.
Trey W.

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:40 am »
WLP005 or 007, depending on what you mean by "good attenuating".  005 may leave you more of the maltiness you are looking for.

I liked the WLP002.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:14 am »
I do want maltiness. I've used 007 for Arrogant Bastards, not sure I get malt-forward out of it though.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:57 am »
his suggestions sounds like 007 to me - hard to pick up the maltiness with all them Chinooks screaming at you  ;)

my local recently made an ESB with 007 and it was plenty malty in my opinion. but any of the suggestions will make a great Imp Porter I'd think.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:22:18 am »
If you can ferment in the low 60s you could probably use any of the English strains to get a clean fermentation with more malt character than cleaner American strains. I use S04 at home because I like to ferment clean in the low 60s but grab some character in the mid to upper 60s. I know S04 is not enjoyed by all.

One alternative you may want to look at is the European ale strain. It is incredibly clean, even at upper 60s/low 70s but leaves a very malty beer. Even more malty than what you will get out of the English strains, but it can be sluggish to finish fermentation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:10:08 am »
Strain isn't as important in a dark, higher-gravity beer vs. pitch rate, oxygenation, and temp. control. If you've got these down, most strains will happily ferment a 10% beer.

With that said, I dig the Scottish Ale strain (WY 1728) for big beers. Very neutral in the mid-60s, similar to 1056/WLP001 but more flocculent. I tried it after learning of several high-quality craft breweries using it as their house strain (Hair of the Dog is one I can remember now).

I've heard its more estery at high temps, but I haven't pushed it higher than 65F or so. Since its a flocc'er, slowly raising the temp. over a few days after high krausen (and being able to hold that temp until fermentation is complete) will help the yeast fully attenuate and clean up fermentation by-products.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:35 am »
Strain isn't as important in a dark, higher-gravity beer vs. pitch rate, oxygenation, and temp. control. If you've got these down, most strains will happily ferment a 10% beer.

I agree.

For a clean, malty, less estery ale, I would opt for Chico WY1056/WLP001 yeast, but if you want some English Ale-like character, then go with WLP002 or WLP028.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »

I agree.

For a clean, malty, less estery ale, I would opt for Chico WY1056/WLP001 yeast, but if you want some English Ale-like character, then go with WLP002 or WLP028.

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »
WY1450 works well for impy porter.  Nice mouthfeel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:37 pm »
WY1450 works well for impy porter.  Nice mouthfeel.

I have used both 1450 and S-05.  The S-05 tends to bring the FG down a few more points than the 1450, but both make for a clean fermentation.  I think the 1450 works for Denny's BVIP rather well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »
I'm a Ringwood man, myself, for imperial porter.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
I'm a Ringwood man, myself, for imperial porter.

I bet that would be good. Better do a good d-rest though.
Trey W.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »
1450 for me, for 1st choice.  That BVIP recipe is pretty much perfection, and the great mouthfeel  is part of the equation. 1728 works really well fermented cool as mentioned. And of course for clean and neutral, 1056 is always an option.
Jon H.