Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05 at low temp  (Read 33887 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
US-05 at low temp
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:34:36 am »
I remember reading here that US-05 is surprisingly cold tolerate - like down to 50F or so. I've been wondering since if it would make a good yeast for hybrid styles like cream ale. Has anyone tried it?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: US-05 at low temp
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:52 am »
I've done US-05 down to 58 with no problems. Slightly slower than normal but still churns through. Some people may have gone lower but 58 is what I've done. I think it makes an incredibly clean beer at and under 60.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:44:08 am »
+1
Trey W.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:26:11 am »
I had it cold crash accidentally down to 45 and it was still working, this was after several days (I was on a trip). Managed to raise temp back up to 60s and had no problems with attenuation or off flavors.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:38:48 pm »
You may be thinking lower than this but I'm fermenting right now with it at 62.  It is happily going about it's business.  First time for me this low.  Put it in the fermentor at 62 degrees last night at 6pm.  This morning it was doing it's thing.  I usually use it at 65 to 68 but read it would make my APA get nice and crisp and clean.  So what the heck, let's see what happens!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:00 pm »
I made a mistake of under pitching (I think) this weekend into an Altbier. Chilled the wort in the fridge over night down to 55F. Rehyrdrated one packet of US-05, aerated for a minute with pure O2. 36 hours, no activity, raised temp to 60, nothing. Ended up pitching another packet last night and have a krausen forming this morning. I probably should've pitched 2 packs. Gravity was 1.050 for 4 gallons (that's the batch size I brew these days). Plus I rehydrated at 95F for 15 minutes, then pitched right into the wort, that probably wasn't the best idea either...

Thoughts, anyone?
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
I made a mistake of under pitching (I think) this weekend into an Altbier. Chilled the wort in the fridge over night down to 55F. Rehyrdrated one packet of US-05, aerated for a minute with pure O2. 36 hours, no activity, raised temp to 60, nothing. Ended up pitching another packet last night and have a krausen forming this morning. I probably should've pitched 2 packs. Gravity was 1.050 for 4 gallons (that's the batch size I brew these days). Plus I rehydrated at 95F for 15 minutes, then pitched right into the wort, that probably wasn't the best idea either...

Thoughts, anyone?
An 11 gram packet should be plenty for 4G of a 1.050 beer. They are twice the size of Red Star packets.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:25:59 pm »

Thoughts, anyone?
An 11 gram packet should be plenty for 4G of a 1.050 beer. They are twice the size of Red Star packets.

+1 it sounds like you maybe got a dead packet of yeast. properly rehydrated 1 packet of us=05 should have been more than enough for that batch. 95 for 15 minutes sounds good. did it get kind of creamy and goopy?

Do you mean you aerated the yeast that was rehydrating for 1 minutes of pure o2? cause it's possible you killed the yeast with that.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:24:57 pm »
Oh, no I didn't aerate the yeast; the wort, then pitched the yeast. The yeast didn't build up the foam on top when rehydrated, but I don't think I gave it enough time. But it was milky looking. Mr Malty says 12 grams if I put the yeast as a few months old and a hybrid beer setting. Half a gram is nothing, yeast could've been dead or I shocked it pitching 95F yeast into 55F wort?
Jesse

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
Oh, no I didn't aerate the yeast; the wort, then pitched the yeast. The yeast didn't build up the foam on top when rehydrated, but I don't think I gave it enough time. But it was milky looking. Mr Malty says 12 grams if I put the yeast as a few months old and a hybrid beer setting. Half a gram is nothing, yeast could've been dead or I shocked it pitching 95F yeast into 55F wort?

Just my 2 cents in on this.  (NOT PREACHING!)   I have been messing with yeast for over 40 years (mostly as a baker).  Heat is the demise of yeast.  You can keep it for a very long time (years) frozen or cold with just a little love.  Heat above 100 degrees can be a killer.   I have always curled my brow when I see anyone instructing people to rehydrate or activate yeast at anywhere near 100 degrees (sorry John Palmer!).  Rehydrate dry yeast at 80 degrees AND USE A THERMOMETER.  You CAN go higher then that but it is at your own risk.  You can't just guess though, go too high and you will kill the yeast.

FERMENTIS STATES: rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
Thanks for your input, Three. I will do this the next time I brew and see how much better I fare.
Jesse

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:35:45 am »
I guess I'll follow this thread around the corner it's taking...

I have been brewing about a year.  Only once have I used dry yeast (S-05), and as in everything else I do, I researched rehydrating exhaustively and followed what I learned to the best of my ability.  It was a bust.  Nothing.  I ran down to the LHBS and picked up some wet yeast and off it went.

I have been hearing about a peachy flavor that one can get if one ferments with S-05 at low temps, so I want to try again on an IPA I will be brewing this weekend.  I am seriously thinking about following some of the advice I read which is to just pour 2 packets straight into the wort without rehydrating at all. 

Thoughts?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:43:35 am »
I remember reading here that US-05 is surprisingly cold tolerate - like down to 50F or so. I've been wondering since if it would make a good yeast for hybrid styles like cream ale. Has anyone tried it?

The Alt that we served during club night was fermented with US05. Fairly clean fermenting, although I pickup on a fruity ester (peach or pear-like) that's in the background flavor, even when fermented cold. It still makes a good beer, especially a hoppy American Ale style, but I'm uncertain about the effects on a Cream Ale style. There's only one way to find out...;)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
I guess I'll follow this thread around the corner it's taking...

I have been brewing about a year.  Only once have I used dry yeast (S-05), and as in everything else I do, I researched rehydrating exhaustively and followed what I learned to the best of my ability.  It was a bust.  Nothing.  I ran down to the LHBS and picked up some wet yeast and off it went.

I have been hearing about a peachy flavor that one can get if one ferments with S-05 at low temps, so I want to try again on an IPA I will be brewing this weekend.  I am seriously thinking about following some of the advice I read which is to just pour 2 packets straight into the wort without rehydrating at all. 

Thoughts?

I never rehydrate 05 and I get great performance from a single pack on beers even in the 70s gravity range.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
Thanks Denny!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton