Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Fight Club: Kettle Filter Edition  (Read 6020 times)

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
Homebrew Fight Club: Kettle Filter Edition
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:04 pm »
I've spent a lot of time researching kettle components lately. One area that remains somewhat unsettled for me is methods for filtering and draining the boil kettle.

Rather than me trying to get feedback about any specific method, I'm more interested in your unsolicited opinions on the topic. So I'd like to simply ask y'all smart people to tell me what you like about any given method, or more likely, combination (tag team?) of methods. Where applicable, please comment on any related factor, such as chilling hardware, pump clogging potential, kettle dimensions, etc.

Here are our contenders:
* False Bottom
* Center-pickup dip tube
* Side-pickup dip tube
* Whirlpool
* Interior screen (specify details, ex. tube or flat circle)
* Exterior screen (specify details, ex. cheesecloth or sieve)

If I missed any methods, I'm sure you'll let me know.

Aaaaaaaand... FIGHT!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
Re: Homebrew Fight Club: Kettle Filter Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:52:10 am »
False bottom with a center pickup tube work for me. I put my hops in big paint strainer bags. The false bottom will typically have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of material on it when I'm finished.

Bruce

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:14:01 am »
I chill with an immersion chiller, stir to whirlpool and help chill, then drain off into the fermentor using a racking cane. I hold the racking cane away from the bottom and sloly loer it as the wort level drops. I'll pick-up some trub at the end of the process, but not enough to bother me; and seemingly, not enough to bother the beer.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

narvin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:06 pm »
I'm a big fan of the hop stopper.  It's a large, square mesh that surrounds a pickup tube going to the bottom of the kettle.  The only con I can think of is that people have had cold break clog it, so it may not be suited for use with an IC.

Before:

After:

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:27:54 pm »
Center pickup dip tube, no false bottom, immersion chiller.  I transfer everything into the fermentor, hop trub and all.  However, if you are going to run a plate chiller, you'll need something like a hop spider or paint strainer bag or some other product of ingenuity to keep the trub from clogging your plates.
Trey W.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »
I have a side pickup dip tube attached to a long flexible stainless mesh tube that goes around the edge of the pot - and I whirlpool to get most trub in the center.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:14 pm »
I'm a big fan of the hop stopper.  It's a large, square mesh that surrounds a pickup tube going to the bottom of the kettle.  The only con I can think of is that people have had cold break clog it, so it may not be suited for use with an IC.

I also use this system with a CFC and pellet hops. Best system I've used.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline durschad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:46:43 am »
I use a side port with no screen.  Will whirlpool with the help of a pump for 15 min. then let stand for another 20-30 min. pripor to running into carboy.  I used to use a hop bag prior to having a pump because I wasn't getting a long enough whirlpool, but now I get a great cone in the middle of the kettle and as long as I start the run off slow it stays intact.  What little sediment I do get in the fermenter is just a little extra nutrient for the yeast.