General Category > Going Pro

Why Plato?

(1/7) > >>

Why is it pro brewers use plato for beginning and ending measurements instead of specific gravity?

Do pro brewers use a different instrument than a hydrometer?

"°Plato = percent extract (or "sugar", although it's not all sugar) by weight in solution. So, 10°P = 10% extract by weight. This makes things easy for brewing calculations.

Specific gravity relates to (instead of weight of extract) the weight of the whole volume of solution relative to an equal volume of water. So, a 1.060 volume of wort is 6% heavier than the same volume of water."

I got this from:

I hope this helps?

Edit: We use a refractometer during sparge, pre and post-boil, and to ascertain our OG.  Hydrometer to check during fermentation, and FG.

My bet is they still use Plato for a couple of reasons:

1) They've always done it that way for hundreds of years, and

2) In their mind it might be a little easier to deal with than a bunch of ones and decimal points and zeroes.  Just easier to write down and keep track of and so forth than a bunch of extra digits.

To each their own.  I prefer specific gravity because for a 1.060 beer I know I can lop off the 1.0 and add a decimal point to get approximately a 6.0% ABV beer.  But the pros will say, that's easy -- it's a 15 Plato beer, so just multiply by 4 and throw in the decimal point to get the same ABV potential.  Personally I think not having to multiply by 4 makes life a lot easier.  But whatever.

I would also add that it is probably easier on brew day using a couple drops of wort on a refractometer vs filling hydrometer every time you wanted to check the gravity. Less worries about temp etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

klickitat jim:
I'm not sure, but its just 0957 hrs and I haven't woke up yet

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version