Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refractometer Sale  (Read 14065 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Refractometer Sale
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 09:02:42 am »
I have a dual scale, but only use the Brix side.  I get an exact conversion from Brewer's Friend though it's obviously easy to ballpark the SG from Brix.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:46 pm »
The math is wrong, since you don't account for the volume added by the dissolved sugar from the converted grain, but the answer is close enough. 

Max gravity for 10# of base malt in 5 gallons of mash water is probably just under 1.065.  You can figure out your target gravity with a pretty simple formula (I'd change the 37 to a 36 if there is much specialty malt in there):
Max points per gallon from mash = (# of grain*37)/(mash volume in gallons+(0.075 gallons*# of grain))
[/quote]

Thanks Denny. That will go in my notebook. And using your formula I was off by half a brix
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:30:59 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:55 am »
Thanks Denny. That will go in my notebook. And using your formula I was off by half a brix
People don't usually call me Denny ;)

Your formula actually works darn well as a quick estimate.  It could work really well if you wanted a number you could calculate on the fly.  Basically your 80% factor makes a pretty decent estimate of the dilution effect for that grain bill, though I'm just not sure where it comes from.  It will probably become less predictive if you diverge from 2 qt/# mash thickness, but it will often get you within a brix or so.  The other formula is pretty quick to calculate, too, but it's tougher to do in your head.

I just gave you the other formula so you could see the logic used to make the calculation and get a more accurate estimate, if you want one.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:44 am »
malzig
[/quote]People don't usually call me Denny ;)

Oooops

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 10:27:18 am »

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »
Great post.  I got one too. lol

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 12:43:32 pm »
That refractometer sure didn't get very positive reviews. Kind of apprehensive after reading some of those. Usually there's one or two bad reviews, but that one has quite a few.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »
That refractometer sure didn't get very positive reviews. Kind of apprehensive after reading some of those. Usually there's one or two bad reviews, but that one has quite a few.
All the bad reviews I read were either the SG scale wasn't accurate or they shipped a brix only refractometer instead. I will only use the brix side, which solves both problems. If brix isn't accurate I'm sending it back.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »

I was reading reviews that mainly said things about the order being wrong or the refractometer not coming with a hard case.  For $20, its pretty hard to beat.  I'll also send it back if it's not what was specified.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 02:47:27 pm »
Good luck, fellas! The only reason I'd want one is for pre-boil gravity readings. Otherwise, I'm fine using a hydrometer for my OG readings.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 03:21:14 pm »

I don't know, there are like 7 bad reviews and 23 really good ones. let's assume the guy selling it has added half the good reviews there are still almost twice as many 5 star reviews as 1 star. Time will tell.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »
I'm almost positive it's the same one I have, and I'm pretty pleased with it (bought another @ that price).  I check the calibration before each brew day, and since some refractometers are notorious for giving inconsistent readings from a given sample, I take multiple readings from any sample I take. Gotta say, it's pretty consistent .  I love it.  But as previously posted, I use it for pre-fermentation readings and a hydrometer for FG.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »
Good luck, fellas! The only reason I'd want one is for pre-boil gravity readings. Otherwise, I'm fine using a hydrometer for my OG readings.

FWIW - that's pretty much what I intend to use it for. I also rarely take gravity readings mid-fermentation since I brew smaller batches. I'll probably be more willing to check on beers every once in a while if I can just take a refractometer sample instead of a full hydro sample. Personally, I'm just looking for another tool in my arsenal rather than a hydrometer replacement.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 08:06:50 pm »

FWIW - that's pretty much what I intend to use it for. I also rarely take gravity readings mid-fermentation since I brew smaller batches. I'll probably be more willing to check on beers every once in a while if I can just take a refractometer sample instead of a full hydro sample. Personally, I'm just looking for another tool in my arsenal rather than a hydrometer replacement.
Fair enough. How small of batches do you brew? One gallon? Small batches are cool, I've settled on 4 gallon batches. Three gallons might be even better because turn over is much faster, but sometimes it's just not enough, especially if I'm taking a lot of growlers to parties.
Jesse

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:39 am »
I've bought and been very happy with this exact one.  I probably use my 0-40 Brix refractometer more often since that's what I use for mead but it's good to have the backup.