Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why don't more microbrews start canning?  (Read 14647 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Why don't more microbrews start canning?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 04:44:55 pm »
I don't like cans.  The do have a "taste", maybe some people aren't able to distinguish it but I sure "can".   :D 

Have you ever done a blind test? (I'm betting "no".  ;)) Don't be surprised if it isn't in your head.

What do you want me to do it with... Miller or Bud?  And I know I can tell the difference.  Babalu87, newer kegs are stainless but cans made the last few decades are aluminum covered on the inside with super thin polymer coating... it definitely has a taste.  Its kinda funny that aluminum seems to need that protective coating don't you think?   ;) 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
It doesn't matter to me. Pick your poison, I would be willing to bet a million bucks you couldn't pick it right even 3 times. ;)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
Not exactly microbreweries but you can buy Guinness and Newcastle in can as well as bottle.
So you could do your blind taste if you want to.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:13 pm »
I don't like cans.  The do have a "taste", maybe some people aren't able to distinguish it but I sure "can".   :D 

Have you ever done a blind test? (I'm betting "no".  ;)) Don't be surprised if it isn't in your head.

What do you want me to do it with... Miller or Bud?  And I know I can tell the difference.  Babalu87, newer kegs are stainless but cans made the last few decades are aluminum covered on the inside with super thin polymer coating... it definitely has a taste.  Its kinda funny that aluminum seems to need that protective coating don't you think?   ;) 

What?
You must have me confused with someone

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »
Not exactly microbreweries but you can buy Guinness and Newcastle in can as well as bottle.

Yeah, but you could easily tell the difference between a bottle and a can of Guinness. Not sure about Newcastle, but the black stuff is remarkably different in a bottle. My experience anyway.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 04:36:49 am »
It doesn't matter to me. Pick your poison, I would be willing to bet a million bucks you couldn't pick it right even 3 times. ;)

:D  I wish you had a million bucks too, I'd be a rich man soon.   ;D 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 05:30:01 am »
dean - any chance you'd be in MN? I'd be willing to setup a blind tasting of bottles versus cans for all those who believe they can taste a difference. We'll put about 10 samples of various beers on the table with at least 3 of them being canned and the remainder bottled and let those who dare pick the canned ones. IMO any incorrect choices prove the point.

Now if someone is saying they taste the can TOP, pour that puppy in a glass or cup for goodness sake and smell the beer.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:01 am »
I don't believe picking incorrectly would be prove the point at all if you're using 10 samples.  Each time you take alcohol into your mouth your tastebuds are dulled no matter if you're eatting crackers and swishing with water or whatever you do.  There was a time when I didn't like beer all that much, or at least not until after a beer or two.

I can drink beer out of a can, but I choose not to.  After drinking a couple, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.  Beside that, if it weren't true, why would so many people say the same thing often giving the same description for the flavor they are picking up?  Its like this... take a small taste of a red hot pepper, then take a big bite of the same pepper and tell me there isn't a difference.  One stings a little but its nothing memorable, the large bite you aren't apt to forget so soon.   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:43:43 am by dean »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:41 am »

Cans are for men. I can take a bite out of a beer can,  I dont want to bite a bottle.

Ever try crushing a bottle on your forehead?  It hurts...
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 06:24:20 am »

Yeah, but you could easily tell the difference between a bottle and a can of Guinness. Not sure about Newcastle, but the black stuff is remarkably different in a bottle. My experience anyway.

They have those Guinness with the nitrogen widgets too, at least in my part. I agree though, the Guinness Extra glass bottles and the Draft nitro cans will be hugely different. Still, Dean probably couldn't tell the difference. Not with that palette. He actually drank my beer once and thought it was good so I wouldn't trust his taste ::) buds.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 06:27:50 am »
So dean are you saying after a single swallow you couldn't tell a difference? Where's the backpedal emoticon when it's needed?  8)

Seriously, I could not pick out the particular beer in a flight of American Light and Standard lagers since I don't drink them much anymore, but if you gave me 10 samples I could describe them all one after another and what I perceived. If one was metallic I certainly could pick it out and if three were, I certainly could pick them out. My point being the metallic you perceive is in your head OR is your tongue touching the can itself. Palate fatigue really doesn't set in until you are on a flight of beers with strong flavors. A very hoppy flight will quickly fatigue the palate as can a strong alcohol flight. But light lagers...c'mon...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:08 am »
I'm saying there is a difference between sipping beer and drinking beer.  Just like with the hot pepper, a small sample doesn't give you the full effect.  I notice the flavor in a canned beer at the back of my mouth and throat, and more so if I'm drinking rather than sipping.  After a half a beer, it begins to subside... I suppose if I forced myself to drink canned beer long enough I wouldn't know the difference either... it would be an acquired taste... most people don't like coffee right off the bat either, its something they get used to.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 07:51:19 am »
I think I just happen to prefer cans.  I don't buy this nonsense that cans make the beer metallic; companies worked out that issue a long time ago.  I always pour my beer in a glass when I'm home, so drinking out of a bottle is never an issue.  As far as the environmental "advantages" I waste a ton of water each time I brew so I can't exactly claim that I care for that reason either.  I just want more cans because they store better, keep the beer fresher, are easier to pack a fridge with, I can take them anywhere, and don't have to worry about them breaking.  I guess I'm just surprised that some of the bigger micros who can afford to implement cans have not done so.  The beer is going to taste the same, it's just a matter of providing me with an easier way to bring it more places. 

No one wastes water when they're making beer.

My wife started talking about how she wanted us to conserve water once. I told her I conserve water by not converting it into hydrogen.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 08:01:52 am »

nate - are you comparing the widget cans to the widget bottles or the widget cans to the Extra Stout bottles?  I don't think I could differentiate the former comparison, but the latter comparison is stark, mainly because its a different recipe...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 08:07:11 am »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can taste the difference in beers fermented in stainless steel vessels and beers fermented in glass vessels.  If you can't differentiate between the steely-fermented beers and the glassy ones then I guess you just don't have as refined a palate as me!   ;D  :P