Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: possible contamination?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
possible contamination?
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:15:22 pm »
Hello, recently i did a batch of flanders red with a lot of oak and lacto character. It was madurated on a sanke keg and last weekend i served that beer on tap.

Now i am very aware about possible contaminations. I washed sanke couplers, beer lines, picnic taps and everything that touch that batch of beer with caustic soda, nitric acid, and satinized with peracetic acid. I know that proffesionals always says to keep separated funky from normal batches to prevent weird stuff.

Do you thing there are no really possibilities of contamination if i really keep my things clean? i know im playing with fire

Thanks!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: possible contamination?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »
It is much easier to thoroughly clean/sanitize equipment on a homebrew scale than on a pro scale. Metal and glass parts especially should be no problem. Tubing and such might be more difficult. Putting any parts you can in 180F water for 20 minutes will help too, though your process sounds pretty foolproof already.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:35:14 pm »
I like to keep a separate set of plastic equipment for sours.
 But glass and ss? No worries! Clean it like you normally would and you're good to go.
Cheers!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
I've used the same bottling equipment and tubing for both sour and non-sour beers. It isn't a problem as long as you are doing a good job of cleaning and sanitizing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing