Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trader Joe's Prost  (Read 6651 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Trader Joe's Prost
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
So my wife picked me up a six of Trader Joe's Josephsbrau Prost.  Allegedly a maibock. It is dated for use before 8/15 of this year, so should've been in good condition.  I kept my expectations pretty low, as I have no idea who brews it for them (unlike the Vintage Ale, which has a Unibroue cork in it).  This beer has decent head retention at best, looks and tastes like a stronger (7.4% abv) but very oxidized Sam Adams Octoberfest.  Has that nasty cardboard-y, unpleasant caramel flavor that you find in old, oxidized imports.  Very disappointing. Hofbrau has nothing to fear from this swill.
Jon H.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Trader Joe's Prost
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:31:06 pm »
I wonder who contract brews it for them?  I think the IPA and APA is brewed by Firestone Walker.  Those are always excellent beers, especially when you consider the price.  I remember their Belgian Christmas beer from a couple years ago was brewed by Unibroue (spelling?). 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »
Maybe Gordon Biersch.  They've brewed for TJ in the past.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:00 am »
The label should say where it is brewed. If from San Jose CA it is Gordon Biersch.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:38:13 am »
At least the Mission Street series is OK. It comes from a well know brewery in Paso Robles. If they managed to handle it better it would be fantastic at their prices.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 08:38:38 am »
The label should say where it is brewed. If from San Jose CA it is Gordon Biersch.
I looked online, and it is Gordon Biersch.  I had heard good things about them, but it wasn't reflected in this 6 pack for sure.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:34 am »
I looked online, and it is Gordon Biersch.  I had heard good things about them, but it wasn't reflected in this 6 pack for sure.

IMO, GB is a solid, if not spectacular, brewing operation.  Some of their beers are better than others.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »
Keep in mind that TJ's had pretty poor beer handling practices. Its kept warm in the store, in the warehouse, and en route in between.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/