Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am really disappointed in Sam Adams  (Read 13382 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: I am really disappointed in Sam Adams
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 09:13:11 am »
I do know I will avoid buying their beer from now on though.

And I'll probably buy more of it.

The whole "controversy" over this non-story is ridiculous. 
I shouldn't be surprised...I'm not a fan of Fox "news".
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:14 am »
I am really disappointed in the douche at Fox news whose favorite beer is Yeungling.  That discredits anything he says in my opinion(not that Fox news is my first source of news in the first place).

It is an interesting choice of an ad on Sam Adams part, since they know they had to adhere to certain guidelines.  They just probably thought the general idea was good enough that they wouldn't get ripped apart by holier than thou extreme conservatives.  I'll continue to drink Sam Adams because I like most of their beer(Cherry Wheat not so much) and I like that they were a trailblazer for craft beer.
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
After sleeping on it, it doesn't bother me so much now. I just get tired of the fact that God and prayer keep getting removed from one thing and then another. This was just another straw on a very weakened camel's back for me. A guy on the MrBeer forum put it in really good perspective.

FedoraDave is who I am refering to in this thread.
http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/12-community-drain-pipe/384548-i-am-really-disappointed-in-sam-adams#384617

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 11:16:16 am »
This is trying to create a story out of nothing:

1. When I watched the video I did not assume the guy was reading a quote out of the Declaration, rather that he was paraphrasing. I didn't realize any time we talk about the Declaration we can only cite verbatim. That is news to me and I have a BA in political science and a Juris Doctor.

2. It's consistent with industry standards. Ok, you don't think industry standards should cut out religion. I get it, but it cuts both ways. You don't have "Jesus's favorite beer" or references to a particular deity in a commercial, but you also don't have Tasty Crucifixion Cream Ale, Drunk Jesus IPA, God is a Joke Porter, etc. I'd rather see beer ads, which have nothing to do with anybody's religious beliefs, take a neutral position on religion than the uproar over a beer with marketing that offends the religious beliefs of others.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 11:30:47 am »
I'm more offended that they used the Declaration of Independence for advertising than I am that they left out a few words.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 12:07:40 pm »
Sam Adams will always have a place in my heart. When they bought 20,000 Lbs of hop pellets in 2008, and than turned around and sold them to micro breweries with no profit. Just because they think competition forces them to make better beer.

I know it was just a publicity stunt. And I doubt they really want competition. But I still thought it was a really classy move.

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »
Random question. If you can't use religion or religious themes to sell beer. How is it ok to name your brewery after Ninkasi the Sumerian goddess of fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 12:50:02 pm »
Sam Adams will always have a place in my heart. When they bought 20,000 Lbs of hop pellets in 2008, and than turned around and sold them to micro breweries with no profit. Just because they think competition forces them to make better beer.

I know it was just a publicity stunt. And I doubt they really want competition. But I still thought it was a really classy move.

Wasn't that because they didn't need the hops?  Was it intended to be altruistic?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 01:14:23 pm »

Thankyou for reminding me of that. That was super cool of them.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 01:20:23 pm »
This thread is a teasing squirrel to my inner political chihuahua.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »

Yeah, I think we all deserve a beer for not going there!  Unfortunately I won't be able to have mine til tomorrow.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

I get a kick out of your posts. Thankyou for the laugh.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »

I know, but I promised Denny I'd be good.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »
Random question. If you can't use religion or religious themes to sell beer. How is it ok to name your brewery after Ninkasi the Sumerian goddess of fermentation.

Because Jesus is the only god that counts in the US. Ever heard of He'brew? There's no problems with that one either apparently.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 03:16:33 pm »
Now if we can just get Pandora back into the box.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS