Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Go-Ferm substitute for rehydration? (mead)  (Read 5609 times)

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
Go-Ferm substitute for rehydration? (mead)
« on: July 06, 2013, 07:48:54 am »
Will be doing a mead this afternoon.  If anyone sees this in time and has some experience with meads, is there a close substitute for go-ferm during yeast rehydration?  I have on hand LD Carlson Yeast Energizer, Fermax yeast nutrient and some Wyeast Nutrient blend.  I believe the go-ferm is primarily composed of yeast-derived minerals/vitamins that help initial cell wall development.  I've also heard that DAP added too soon can be stressful to the yeast.  I suspect the Wyeast blend may be most appropriate.
Any thoughts?
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Go-Ferm substitute for rehydration? (mead)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:15 am »
Will be doing a mead this afternoon.  If anyone sees this in time and has some experience with meads, is there a close substitute for go-ferm during yeast rehydration?  I have on hand LD Carlson Yeast Energizer, Fermax yeast nutrient and some Wyeast Nutrient blend.  I believe the go-ferm is primarily composed of yeast-derived minerals/vitamins that help initial cell wall development.  I've also heard that DAP added too soon can be stressful to the yeast.  I suspect the Wyeast blend may be most appropriate.
Any thoughts?

When I haven't had Go-Ferm on hand I simply omitted it when rehydrating. My last mead went from 1.120 to 1.002 with no Go-Ferm, so I didn't really notice any ill effects.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
Re: Go-Ferm substitute for rehydration? (mead)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:23:17 am »
Thanks, Eric.  I appreciate the advice.  That gives me more confidence that all will go well.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter