Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Announcing the names of the winning beers  (Read 6886 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Announcing the names of the winning beers
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:37:02 am »
Part of the fun of listening to a beer competition awards ceremony is hearing the clever names that home brewers give their beers.  This seems to be conspicuously omitted in the National Homebrew Competition.  Of course some names occasionally are so double entendre filled that they need some editing, but I think they should be included as part of the announcements.  You can tell a lot about what was entered and the type of person who entered it if, instead of, say "category 23" you hear "category 23 Graetzer" or "Ed's Batch #385" or "Jeffy's Smoked Poblano Wit" or "Labor Day Black IPA" or whatever.
I just think it would be more fun and show some more of the creativity that goes with the hobby.
I notice that they don't even put the names in the winners list on the AHA site.
I wonder why not.....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Announcing the names of the winning beers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
Maybe there's no place on the entry form for the name?  I dunno....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »
Well, then why not?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:26:06 pm »
Well, then why not?

Good question.  In my case, it would be a moot point since my beer names are like "#424 German Pils".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
there is a place on the entry form for the name, and at least we'll get the names of the gold medal winners in Zymurgy.

I would assume it is a time constraint, as the banquet is barely 48 hours from the conclusion of the competition.  The staff should get to enjoy the conference too. 
Plus probably a bit of the aforementioned need for editing; if a few names are profane maybe it is better to not announce any of them rather than just censor those few.  Also a lot of "503 error" names this year.  No need to bring that back up.

more than the name I'd like them to list the specialty information online.  I cannot remember if they announced it at the banquet except I remember hearing honey varietal information for the Category 24 winners. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:38:06 pm by udubdawg »

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:45 pm »
Denny's right. After a hundred or so batches, it gets hard to be creative. Especially when you go over 500 like him.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 07:14:44 pm »
The names are in the winners edition of Zymurgy, no?

Now you need to enter the name and recipe as part of the second round. Or am i dreaming?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:35 am »

Now you need to enter the name and recipe as part of the second round. Or am i dreaming?
Yes, I think the names will be in Zymurgy, but they are not listed on the AHA site now and of course they weren't announced at the banquet.
Part of the creative process is to give your beer a clever name.  Not everybody is good at it or even attempts it, but some of the results are pretty humorous and some give a clue as to the style of the beer.
When I have my beer on tap at home, I call it by the style, ie German Pils, CAP, Witbier, etc., but when I enter a competition I make an attempt at a clever name.
One major competition in Florida, Commander SAAZ, will assign your beer a name at the awards ceremony if you hadn't picked one for it.  "Commander SAAZ is Supreme Altbier" for example.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:29 am »
In my case, it would be a moot point since my beer names are like "#424 German Pils".

I'm not nearly to that many batches, but I still get a bit lazy with naming (even though my fiance inspires some pretty great names). I tend to name a recipe that I've been working on for a while (e.g. Pants on Fire, Complete Twaddle, etc) but most of my batches just end up as "Nelson Saison", "Amarillo Saison", "Dry Stout", etc.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:51:08 am »

Yes, I think the names will be in Zymurgy, but they are not listed on the AHA site now and of course they weren't announced at the banquet.
Part of the creative process is to give your beer a clever name.  Not everybody is good at it or even attempts it, but some of the results are pretty humorous and some give a clue as to the style of the beer.
When I have my beer on tap at home, I call it by the style, ie German Pils, CAP, Witbier, etc., but when I enter a competition I make an attempt at a clever name.
One major competition in Florida, Commander SAAZ, will assign your beer a name at the awards ceremony if you hadn't picked one for it.  "Commander SAAZ is Supreme Altbier" for example.
It would be nice to at least have the names on the screen for the winner's beer, so I agree. It may come down to time and different databases to sift through for the names.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:30 am »
Quote from: AmandaK link=topic=16349.msg205820#msg205820 date=137328http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/code.gif6809
In my case, it would be a moot point since my beer names are like "#424 German Pils".

I'm not nearly to that many batches, but I still get a bit lazy with naming (even though my fiance inspires some pretty great names). I tend to name a recipe that I've been working on for a while (e.g. Pants on Fire, Complete Twaddle, etc) but most of my batches just end up as "Nelson Saison", "Amarillo Saison", "Dry Stout", etc.

There's always the random beer name generator...

http://www.strangebrew.ca/beername.php

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:42 am »

I stopped naming my beers some time ago.  Not sure when.  There are a few batches that I re-brew a lot and those have names.  I tend to follow your convention for newer recipes.  Small Stout, Quick Saison, etc.  If something sticks and I start re-brewing it regularly maybe I'll give it a name.

As to batch #s, I have no idea how many batches I've made.  The early years before I kept a log book are lost to time so I guess I will never know.  Oh well.

It does seem like gold medal winners should have good names, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:00 am »
Maybe the gold medal beers should be named by the judges?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:18:33 am »
Quote from: AmandaK link=topic=16349.msg205820#msg205820 date=137328http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/code.gif6809

There's always the random beer name generator...

http://www.strangebrew.ca/beername.php

Thanks, Denny.  I can waste a lot of time on that.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »
Yeah, I LOVE it!

www.dennybrew.com