Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: question about a mash schedule  (Read 6045 times)

Offline g-pa

• 1st Kit
question about a mash schedule
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »
I am diong my first all grain soon ( it will be a weissbier)3lbs ger.pilsner malt/5.13lbs german wheat malt/1 lbs rice hulls and I understand that a protien rest is recomended with wheat but I only have a 5 gal mash tun should i just do a single infusion  or do a protin rest and sccrification and skip the mash out , or skip the protien rest ?what would be the best route to go (other than get a 10 gallon mash tun witch I should have done in the first place but I didn't). I don't know if I am just over complicating things for my first all grain batch.

thanks for any help

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: question about a mash schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »
First all grain?
I'd say keep it simple
single infusion
good luck
have fun
Dan S. from NJ

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »
First all grain?
I'd say keep it simple
single infusion
good luck
have fun

+1

protein rests for wheat were recommended years ago, today they're kinda 'meh' - you don't *really* need it anymore.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline g-pa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:14:02 pm »
I think I will try a protien rest at122* for 20 min and then Saccrification at 150* for 40 min with no mash out and see how it turns out, thats about all that will fit whats the worst that can happen?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »
I think I will try a protien rest at122* for 20 min and then Saccrification at 150* for 40 min with no mash out and see how it turns out, thats about all that will fit whats the worst that can happen?
Have unconverted starch.
You could hold 150F rest for 60 min or until converted.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
You really don't need the p rest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline g-pa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:35 am »
Everyone seems to be steering me back to a single infusion. but every thing I read says to do a protien rest with wheat, maybe I am reading to much and need to just put the books down and make some beer I just want to make the best beer I can make even if it is my first all grain.
I will probably just do a single infusion and be done with it
thanks for the help

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:13 am »
Why do you think you need a p rest?  Don't do it just because the books say so!  You have experienced brewers here telling you that it isn't necessary.  Isn't that enough to at least make you want to see?  :)  Keep it simple, then when you have a handle on things give the p rest a try.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:31 am »
Success breeds success.  Go w/single infusion for the first batch.  Once you're comfortable and successful at that work to improve.  I use single infusions almost exclusively.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline g-pa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:34 pm »

Yes I know you are all very experienced brewers. I don't mean to question or second guess any of you it is just in the past I have done batches that tuned out so-so and then find out later that if I would have read this or that I could have easily made it better 
I will take denny's advice though and keep it simple and have fun with this hobby, I guess I will do a single infusion and take it from there

thanks for the advice

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 01:56:23 pm »
when were the books you are reading published?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:00:08 pm »
g-pa,
Practice makes perfect.
Brew often and brew lot.
Give beer away and brew more.
Spread the love around.

I am multi rest / decoction guy but I started with single infusion.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »
The data regarding the effects of protein rests on beer is rather conflicting and that’s why there is so much discussion. If it makes you feel better, just go for the protein rest. I don’t think it will hurt the quality of the beer.

What many of us say here is that it may make for a less stressful brew day if you go with a single infusion. And take if from there for future beers. You may actually brew the same beer w/ a protein rest for your second AG batch.

Kai

Offline g-pa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 02:52:15 pm »
German wheat beer by Eric Warner    1992
Beer Captured by Tess and Mark Szamatulski   2001, 2005
 How To Brew  by John Palmer           2006
and many more

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »
German wheat beer by Eric Warner    1992

good info on the history of the style, but outdated in some spots.

Beer Captured by Tess and Mark Szamatulski   2001, 2005

garbage

How To Brew  by John Palmer           2006

great book, but I can't recall that he really promotes a protein rest in the new edition. *edit* in fact, here's a quote from chapter 14 (emphasis mine):

14.4 The Protein Rest and Modification
Modification is the term that describes the degree of breakdown during malting of the protein-starch matrix (endosperm) that comprises the bulk of the seed. Moderately-modified malts benefit from a protein rest to break down any remnant large proteins into smaller proteins and amino acids as well as to further release the starches from the endosperm. Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery.