Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Own Beer testing  (Read 9855 times)

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
My Own Beer testing
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
Since Im just starting out wanting to make my own brew, I have been told by several people to go to my local beer store and purchase different ale, pilsner, etc. and give them a try. So I did. I only bought 6 this time, I will buy more again soon and I will let you know my opinion of them. Here is my opinion of the six I just bought in order from worst to the best.
(6) Winter Axis http://fleck.worldclassbeer.com/beerspy/product/empyrean-winter-axis-festiveale/12188/
Hated It. Never want to drink it again. Very Strong Citrus Acid Punch to it. Strong and Bitter.
(5) Schells Bock http://www.schellsbrewery.com/ourbeers_info.php?id=17
Tasted like bitter or burned molasses. A bit better than the Winter Axis, but still not drinkable.
(4) Acme California Pale Ale http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-AcmePaleAle.htm
Tasted like it was made with a cheap cream soda. t is drinkable but leaves a bad aftertaste in your mouth. Very smooth and easy to drink, it just bites you at the end.
(3) Honey Pilsner http://www.madhousebeer.com/honey-pilsner.php
Very slight taste of honey, but would not drink it again. Could be drinkable for someone (Its on the borderline) But between me and my wife we didn't finish it.
(2) Amber Lager http://www.monarch-beverage.com/Pages/Beer/BeerDetails.aspx?PageId=2838
First thought before drinking it, we thought we wouldn't like it since it was an Lager beer. But, we were both pleasantly surprised by it. It is drinkable and it is something we could get used to. We both think it smells like some kind of desert, and it had a hint of rosemary.
(1) Beer Flower Wheat http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-adams-longshot-beer-flower-wheat/190344/
we were told this is a home made brew that won a beer contest so Samuel Adams has picked it up. The taste is smooth but with a kick. we both enjoyed this beer. The taste is a bit stronger than Miller Genuine Draft, but is very drinkable.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: My Own Beer testing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »
Well welcome to the wonderful world of good beer. Be prepared, there are a lot of craft/micro breweries out there and not many of them are striving to produce something that tastes like MGD.

From your list I would guess you might enjoy a number of American wheat beers (Widmer Hefeweizen, Sierra Nevada Old Chico, Pyramid hefeweizen).

MGD is a pilsner beer but I think that many craft lagers are going to seem way to bitter for you at first. The style is actually quite hoppy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
My Own Beer testing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:05:49 pm »
You might want to visit www.bjcp.org and go through the style guidelines.

At the bottom of each style they list commercial examples that represent the style-it's a pretty good way to learn about beers and styles
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
My Own Beer testing
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »
Or do what I did and look at BA and try to snag some of the top beers or top by category. Not only will you try some awesome beers, you'll have something to aim at!

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
thankyou all for your help. I will certainly continue to "try" other flavors and let you know what I find out.

thanks again

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:34 pm »
It's normal to be all over the place wanting to clone twenty styles. Its all part of the journey. I'd pick a favorite and find a reputable clone then work on the process to dial it in. Its a great way to learn things that apply down the road. Or so I'm learning

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »
That sounds like advice for someone who doesn't drink beer. If you drink beer, make the beer you like. If you like doing that, then expand your horizons. I would try to visit some breweries to sample lots of types, and in 3- 4 ounce samples usually. Remember don't judge a style till you have had a good number of examples.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:14 pm »
That too!  I try something new every time I can. My input was when it comes down to trying to replicate something. Even if you brew weekly and keep good notes, trying to clone twenty beers would be a serious venture

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:01:16 pm »
Since Im just starting out wanting to make my own brew,...
<snip>
...The taste is a bit stronger than Miller Genuine Draft, but is very drinkable.

If your goal is to brew your own MGD clone, be aware your biting off a bit much.  MGD, Bud, et al are lagers and most homebrewers start out with ales as they're easier/cheaper/faster.  Also, beers like MGD have relatively little flavor and are extremely "clean".  From a brewers perspective, that means that there is almost nothing there to hide the inevitable flaws that will crop up with beginners homebrew.

A good strategy is to continue what you're doing (tasting lots of commercial examples of different styles) to find some styles that would be better for your first homebrew effort.  Side benefit is that, as you try more and more different styles, you may well develop a taste for more "flavorful" beer.
Joe