Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: carbonating 2 beers on a single tap system  (Read 3068 times)

Offline hang5lngbd

• 1st Kit
carbonating 2 beers on a single tap system
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:12 pm »
I have a single tap system. However, I would like to be able to start the carbonation of a second keg while serving off the first one. Should I just use sugar to get the carbonation started, or do I need to split my CO2 line to prepare the keg? Is that even possible?

Advice requested.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: carbonating 2 beers on a single tap system
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:26:01 pm »
If it was me, I'd split the CO2 line.  AAMOF, that's what I do.  I have a 5 way manifold with an on/off valve and check valve on each output.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
Either will work, so do what works best for your setup. I like priming sugar if I don't have room to cool the keg yet.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:26 pm »
If you can keep it cool just move the CO2 line from keg to keg. I do this with 5 kegs and it works fine for now. I'd love to have a manifold but right now it's dead last on my brewery upgrade wish list. But I wonder if always moving from keg to keg will wear out the disconnects and poppets prematurely?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »
The o rings would suffer most and they are cheaper than a manifold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:15:07 pm »
You can split the line or switch back and forth. When I was in this situation, I would charge the newer keg with higher psi so the CO2 would have some time to dissolve before I needed to hit it again. However, I got a 3-way manifold very soon after, as I was expanding my setup rapidly. Now I also have a dual-pressure CO2 regulator and a separate line coming in for that, so I can serve at one pressure and carb at another. Good luck.
Trey W.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »
I prefer to have a manifold with shutoff valves, but all you need is this "t" plus a couple of clamps and some hose to get that second one carbonated. about $5 all told.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/fittings-pid-SST-B2.html