Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flake looking material in bottles?  (Read 5828 times)

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
Flake looking material in bottles?
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »
I used star San to sanitize my bottles, racked over my beer from the yeast cake into my bottling bucket, added the pricing sugar and bottled. 

This was Sunday. Checked my bottles out of curiosity to see what kind of sediment if any had settled down. Before bottling the beer had cleared fairly well.

If looking at the bottom of the bottle, there is a noticeable sediment, and when swirled it looks like flakes floating in the beer.

For reference, this was bottled Sunday and no fining agents were used.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Flake looking material in bottles?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:56 pm »
Possibly hop debris?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »
Possibly hop debris?

Filtered it before hand, racked twice. Unless something would cause the priming sugar or residual matter to form into flakes?

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »

22 ouncers for the record
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:10:26 pm by rainmaker »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:11:26 pm »
Pics. But, try a commercial bottle conditiond like Sierra Nevada, there's floaties. I wouldn't sweat it

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »
Pics. But, try a commercial bottle conditiond like Sierra Nevada, there's floaties. I wouldn't sweat it

Oh, not sweating it, just trying to figure out why it's there because there was little to no yeast in suspension when I bottled, so I'm curious what caused these flakes to form in 3 days

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:10 pm »

Oh, not sweating it, just trying to figure out why it's there because there was little to no yeast in suspension when I bottled, so I'm curious what caused these flakes to form in 3 days

I wouldn't worry either.  I used to have hop floaties in my beer.  Then I started racking into the fermenting bucket instead of pouring the whole thing and that took care of most of it. 

Now I whirlpool the wort at the end of the boil to make a pile of trub in the center of the kettle and rack into the carboy from the edge of the kettle.  No more trub in the finished product other than yeast. 

I'd expect plenty of yeast to still be in suspension though.  What is your method of filtration?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
Nearly invisible yeast that get a fresh dose of sugar, floculate again and float around or sink...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:43 pm »
Nearly invisible yeast that get a fresh dose of sugar, floculate again and float around or sink...

Bingo. It took forever to come to grips with that when I started brewing. "If I left all the yeast in the carboy, where the hell is this new yeast coming from?"
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 04:55:45 am »

I wouldn't worry either.  I used to have hop floaties in my beer.  Then I started racking into the fermenting bucket instead of pouring the whole thing and that took care of most of it. 

Now I whirlpool the wort at the end of the boil to make a pile of trub in the center of the kettle and rack into the carboy from the edge of the kettle.  No more trub in the finished product other than yeast. 

I'd expect plenty of yeast to still be in suspension though.  What is your method of filtration?

Maybe filter isn't correct. I do the same thing whirlpool wise, then rack from the edge.  I rack into secondary and finally rack into the bottling bucket, so 3 total racks. I had assumed that most of the yeast was gone. When I saw all this I was wow, where did that come from?

So bottom line is the yeast in suspension, when hit with the priming sugar, flocs out again?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:30 am »
I believe so

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

Maybe filter isn't correct. I do the same thing whirlpool wise, then rack from the edge.  I rack into secondary and finally rack into the bottling bucket, so 3 total racks. I had assumed that most of the yeast was gone. When I saw all this I was wow, where did that come from?

So bottom line is the yeast in suspension, when hit with the priming sugar, flocs out again?

if the yeast were all gone you wouldn't get any carbonation. yes it looks like totally normal yeast sedimentation from bottle conditioning. What yeast did you use? I suspect it was a fairly clumpy one like 1968 or similar.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:48 am »

if the yeast were all gone you wouldn't get any carbonation. yes it looks like totally normal yeast sedimentation from bottle conditioning. What yeast did you use? I suspect it was a fairly clumpy one like 1968 or similar.

568 Saison blend from white labs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:47 am »
[...]

568 Saison blend from white labs

hmm not known for it flocculence but I still stick with yeast.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce