Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Die Hard with a Spoon  (Read 7025 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Die Hard with a Spoon
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 04:30:39 pm »
It's for this reason alone that I moved out of the garage and back into the kitchen. Screw 15 gallon batches! I'll take 6 gallons and AC over the hell my garage was. If it had stayed 90 in there I'd still be brewing in the garage.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BHaase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 01:49:15 pm »
Brewed a Marzen last weekend for Oktoberfest and it hit 97 degrees on the back porch. It was so hot that I couldn`t drop my wort below 50 degrees using ice and my IWPC  >:(. I had to transfer the wort to the carboys to chill down in the freezer before aerating and pitching the yeast. That was the first time in 8 years of brewing that I had to do that.  :o

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 05:43:55 am »
It's for this reason alone that I moved out of the garage and back into the kitchen. Screw 15 gallon batches! I'll take 6 gallons and AC over the hell my garage was. If it had stayed 90 in there I'd still be brewing in the garage.

Respect level knocked down several notches.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 07:17:36 am »
Brewed a Marzen last weekend for Oktoberfest and it hit 97 degrees on the back porch. It was so hot that I couldn`t drop my wort below 50 degrees using ice and my IWPC  >:(. I had to transfer the wort to the carboys to chill down in the freezer before aerating and pitching the yeast. That was the first time in 8 years of brewing that I had to do that.  :o

Had to do the same thing yesterday with the same style beer, but I've had that happen a lot in the summer.  Today a petite Saison, so no worries....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 08:20:23 am »

I decided I would no longer suffer for my beer. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 09:25:07 am »

I decided I would no longer suffer for my beer. ::)

As opposed to suffering "from" my beer (as in having a few too many)!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32:15 am »

Oh, c'mon man...seems like a perfectly logical decision to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

Oh, c'mon man...seems like a perfectly logical decision to me.

I'd expect as much from an old hippy, but a guy with Eli Wallach as his avatar?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:14 am »
It's all good so long as we keep on brewing. I just happen to enjoy the man cave any chance I get. Personally I'd probably get in trouble for steaming up the house on an already hot day. So kudos to those who are still the man of the kitchen

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
We brewed 2 10 gallon batches a couple of weeks ago-outside temp was 108F, inside the garage it was probably 115 or more.  I can't wait until fall comes around again.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 08:40:54 pm »
Try emptying 1000 lbs of hot grain out of you mash tun by hand, and having to climb in the mash tun while its still hot on a humid 95 degree Alabama July afternoon. That die hard? Or maybe it's dumb and dumber.

What was it they say in Greenbow Alabama?  "Stupid is as stupid does"?

Oh wait, that was Forest Gump, not Die Hard...

Never mind.   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 10:47:47 pm »
It's all good so long as we keep on brewing. I just happen to enjoy the man cave any chance I get. Personally I'd probably get in trouble for steaming up the house on an already hot day. So kudos to those who are still the man of the kitchen

Mash in the kitchen, boil on the patio, which can be anywhere from below freezing to high 90's, (it's really the wind I don't like), or in the garage.  Then it's back into the kitchen to finish up pre-fermentation  Then into the office converted to my brewmaster and fermentation arena. 

As it's my kitchen (where I'm the cook and chief bottle washer), I see the need to adapt.  I am going to banish myself to the garage (eventually). as I am slowly destroying my kitchen.  (I think my wife would agree!) But for now I'm going to walk over, tap myself a pint of my latest APA and figure out my next brew.

I think it will be an IPA, or an............

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........