Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got beef with "American IPA"  (Read 22569 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Got beef with "American IPA"
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 12:47:31 pm »
i usually grind my own beef, or buy large cuts and have a butcher grind them.  i do this so i don't have to eat my burgers cooked to death.  for tacos, i go well done, but for burgers, it's hard to beat one mid-rare. 

IPA = India Pitch-black Ale.

Oh and in looking at the original title, I am reminded that AIPA goes well with a juicy steak or medium-rare burger.

I like my steak bloody but ground beef should always be served well done in the name of food safety.
[/quote

Oh and in looking at the original title, I am reminded that AIPA goes well with a juicy steak or medium-rare burger.

I prefer a porter with my steak. I think IPA is better suited to post-steak for the digestive-enhancing qualities found in a more bitter beer.
I like my steak bloody but ground beef should always be served well done in the name of food safety.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:51:01 pm by deepsouth »
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »

I prefer a porter with my steak. I think IPA is better suited to post-steak for the digestive-enhancing qualities found in a more bitter beer.
knock the horns off, wipe its ass and put it on the plate

this.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline larsonkd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
I feel that the stronger versions of American "IPA" are more accurately described as Imperial Pale Ales.  Pale in color with a malty backbone, but very hop forward, and a strong alcohol presence.  I think we will soon be branching out with our use of IPA or Pale Ale, such as Citrus Pale Ale, Summer Pale Ale, Winter Pale Ale, etc.  I already found Elysian Brewery experimenting with citrus flavors in a Pale Ale (Elysian Superfuzz Blood Orange), which was pretty tasty for the summer.

Personally, I brew a lot of American IPA's using American hops; again very hop forward beers with strong hop presence in the flavor an aroma, but I also experiment with old time British (Burton Upon-Trent) styles, where I try to use European and British hops to recreate the what the original IPA's may have been like...always incorporating some light oak to give it a more genuine taste.

As mentioned before in other posts...read Mitch Steele's book "IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale" and use the recipes within to get a better understanding of the differences between the IPA styles and ingredients used.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:50 pm »
I feel that the stronger versions of American "IPA" are more accurately described as Imperial Pale Ales.

Wouldn't those be Double IPA's?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »
I feel that the stronger versions of American "IPA" are more accurately described as Imperial Pale Ales.

Wouldn't those be Double IPA's?
+1.  Very hop forward and stronger in abv sounds kinda like IIPA to me. :)
Jon H.

Offline larsonkd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2013, 07:13:17 am »
From what I read, they are one in the same...although the Imperial Pale Ale would be more of a nod to English Brewing, as the Imperial term originated in the English brewing of Russian Imperial Stouts for the Russian Imperial Courts in the late 1700's.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2013, 08:27:54 am »
The name "IPA" is too well engrained in popular culture now. What we need to do is change what the "I" means. Maybe Imperial Pale Ale would work and everyone can still say "Can I have an IPA?"

With this naming scheme Double IPA would still work, but IIPA would obviously be redundant not that its that popular to begin with, i doubt anyone would miss it.

Now these are great ideas that I could live with and more easily find inner peace.   8)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »
From what I read, they are one in the same...although the Imperial Pale Ale would be more of a nod to English Brewing, as the Imperial term originated in the English brewing of Russian Imperial Stouts for the Russian Imperial Courts in the late 1700's.

Imperial also means majestic, magnificent, imperious or domineering which would be a much more apropos name since modern American IPAs have little in common with English or Russian empires.

I think the name Imperial Pale Ale could catch on :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »
Brain fart a couple years ago, I typed "Imperial Pale Ale" instead of "India Pale Ale" on my keg ring and didn't even notice it until a few days ago.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2013, 04:31:06 pm »
I like some stream water with my freshly killed prey. Bloody rare, please.

this thread has a lot, but needs more stream water with bloody freshly-killed prey IMO.

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Brooks Falls brown bears, fishing for sockeye, live.

makes me hungry for salmon (with IPA)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:02 pm »
I like some stream water with my freshly killed prey. Bloody rare, please.

this thread has a lot, but needs more stream water with bloody freshly-killed prey IMO.

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Brooks Falls brown bears, fishing for sockeye, live.

makes me hungry for salmon (with IPA)

I've learned three things after watching this for 5 minutes...
1. These bears suck at fishing
2. These fish suck at swimming
3. I'm hungry for salmon with a Double American India Imperial Pale Ale
Frank