Author Topic: Got beef with "American IPA"  (Read 9558 times)

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Re: Got beef with "American IPA"
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
If I'm not judging for or brewing for a competition, then just give me a ballpark idea of what to expect so I can pick a beer to drink. I expect that at any particular brewery the DIPA is hoppier than their IPA, which is hoppier than their APA, which is hoppier than their blonde. That's enough for me, but extra details like IBUs, ABV, hops, grain bill, etc are appreciated. No need to be a nomenclature nazi, as long as your name gives me a reasonable expectation of what the beer is going to be.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
If I'm not judging for or brewing for a competition, then just give me a ballpark idea of what to expect so I can pick a beer to drink. I expect that at any particular brewery the DIPA is hoppier than their IPA, which is hoppier than their APA, which is hoppier than their blonde. That's enough for me, but extra details like IBUs, ABV, hops, grain bill, etc are appreciated. No need to be a nomenclature nazi, as long as your name gives me a reasonable expectation of what the beer is going to be.

Exactly! I just need to know what I'm drinking. If you call it an APA, I should't need to know the ABV. Same with IPA or IIPA. I'll know what I'm getting into. Call it a Pale Ale and it's 7% ABV and I'm floating down in the canoe and I drink 4 I may not be able to drive when I get to the truck!

Or if I'm sitting in a pub with my wife and she says, "What should I get" and I pick out the Pale Ale and it's really a 7% 80 IBU IPA then she's stuck with something I didn't intend her to have.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Online HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

Exactly! I just need to know what I'm drinking. If you call it an APA, I should't need to know the ABV. Same with IPA or IIPA. I'll know what I'm getting into. Call it a Pale Ale and it's 7% ABV and I'm floating down in the canoe and I drink 4 I may not be able to drive when I get to the truck!

Or if I'm sitting in a pub with my wife and she says, "What should I get" and I pick out the Pale Ale and it's really a 7% 80 IBU IPA then she's stuck with something I didn't intend her to have.
+1.  The nomenclature gives an expectation of being in the ballpark.  I too appreciate the OG and IBUs postings though - it gives a little clearer picture of what you're actually getting. I think the absolute worst thing for the craft beer industry right now though is to take a bunch of excited beer novices who are trying to learn what to buy and go confusing them further by changing terms in midstream. I know there's some overlap in pale ale and IPA styles, but people should be able to expect a definite difference when they pay $$. 
Jon H.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
Black IPA, so what if it's not "pale"? Many IPA's and pale ales aren't very "pale" anyway.
Or we could call it by the name the Brits used for it more than 100 years ago, KK Ale, instead of making believe we invented something that no one has ever thought of before, so we get to name it.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
interesting thread.  i've enjoyed reading it so far. 

regarding the subject at hand, i'm with erockrph up there.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

cornershot

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
Ok so from now on IPA ( pronounced: eye-pee-ay) is now a WORD used to describe a particular style of beer. It is not an acronym for ANYTHING! Unless it's brewed in England.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »
Ok so from now on IPA ( pronounced: eye-pee-ay) is now a WORD used to describe a particular style of beer. It is not an acronym for ANYTHING! Unless it's brewed in England.
I can assume you never had Greene King IPA. 3.6% ABV, 32-ish IBU, little hop flavor or aroma on cask.

What would you say if you ordered an IPA and got an ordinary bitter?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

cornershot

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
If the 32 ibu came from all late hops plus dry hops and had a big IPAish hop profile with enough malt to back it up but half the alcohol, I'd say gimme 3 more! Love me some session beer! Love IPA for the hops. Alcohol content doesn't matter much. If I could have a 3.5% IPA that tastes like a 7% IPA I'd rather drink twice as many 3.5% beers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
If the 32 ibu came from all late hops plus dry hops and had a big IPAish hop profile with enough malt to back it up but half the alcohol, I'd say gimme 3 more! Love me some session beer! Love IPA for the hops. Alcohol content doesn't matter much. If I could have a 3.5% IPA that tastes like a 7% IPA I'd rather drink twice as many 3.5% beers.
it was an ordinary bitter to me, and the IBU were not from late hops, did not have a dry hop character. It was disappointing. Fuller's Bengl lancer at 5.3% bottled was much more of a British IPA to my thinking.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
I give in. No reason to call it IPA when it must be something else. Stipulations: I don't want us to call it a "gold fish" any longer. They are obviously ORANGE! fish. They are not gold, nor or they made of gold! And don't get me started on those goshdern CRACKERS! THOSE ARE NOT GOLDFISH NEITHER! They should be called CRACKERLOOKIN' FISH! Who the F#ck do I call to change this!!!
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 12:50:54 AM »
The name "IPA" is too well engrained in popular culture now. What we need to do is change what the "I" means. Maybe Imperial Pale Ale would work and everyone can still say "Can I have an IPA?"

With this naming scheme Double IPA would still work, but IIPA would obviously be redundant not that its that popular to begin with, i doubt anyone would miss it.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Bottled:
Grandpa Louie's Cream Ale
Eagle Point Pale Ale

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
What do you have against India?

cornershot

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2013, 04:40:36 AM »
What do you have against India?

Absolutely nothing.

What does India have to do with it? With all the creativity in the craft beer world, you'd think we could name it something that makes sense.

Online AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
I give in. No reason to call it IPA when it must be something else. Stipulations: I don't want us to call it a "gold fish" any longer. They are obviously ORANGE! fish. They are not gold, nor or they made of gold! And don't get me started on those goshdern CRACKERS! THOSE ARE NOT GOLDFISH NEITHER! They should be called CRACKERLOOKIN' FISH! Who the F#ck do I call to change this!!!

HA. CRACKERLOOKIN' FISH!!!
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »

That's funny!  Similar to why do we call it a Parkway when we drive on them and a Driveway when we park on them.  Why call them Apartments when they are all stuck together. 

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg