Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Science question  (Read 2814 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Science question
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:23:10 pm »
I have a 5 gal batch in the fridge fermenting. I also have a bunch of commercial beer bottles in there. If I turn the temp down to 38, why did I find a chunk of ice floating in my 5 gal batch, but the bottles in there did not freeze first. I am confused.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Science question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »
I would say your temperature controller is not working properly in order to get ice floating. I wouldn't think fermenting beer would freeze at 38 degrees. But to try and answer your question, if your beer is still fermenting, you're alcohol content wouldn't be as high as it is in the commercial bottles, therefore being more prone to freezing. I don't know if this has any impact, but your commercial bottles are under pressure too.
Frank

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:03:01 pm »
Frank is right.  Finished beer has more alcohol, and it is under pressure.  Both will impact the freezing temperature.  Also every refrigerator has warm and cool spots.  The thermometer is probably wrong for one thing, and for another thing, the temperature is not exactly 38 F or 32 F at every single point in the refrigerator but rather only where the sensor is.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:14:04 am »
I have an upright keezer that holds 5 kegs and I keep the temperature at 40f. I recently had a 3.8% ordinary bitter, stored against the back wall, freeze slightly. The 5% beers next to it didn't freeze. Moved the bitter to the front and the problem went away.

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:52:07 am »
Location in the refrigerator can have a large affect on local temperature. Depending on design, cold may be blown in or circulate by gravity from the freezer compartment through one small vent. If your fermenter was in the direct path of the cold, you would get some icing in one area while the liquid at the bottom of the fermenter was relatively warmer. I've heard of using a computer muffin fan in refrigerators or keezers to equalize temperatures.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:41 am »
Sounds like your thermocouple was reading the temp near the bottles, and maybe the larger vessel was already at temp.  Usually I have th opposite problem though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »
Hey thanks for the input everyone. I think next time I just wont turn the temp down so low.