Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from keg at room temperature  (Read 4854 times)

Offline mcdubster

• 1st Kit
Bottling from keg at room temperature
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:13 am »
This is actually my first time bottling from a keg. I have absolutely no space in my fridge to chill the keg before bottling so I'm having to bottle at room temperature. The keg was also carbonated at room temperature. I've read that it can be done and I experimented on a few bottles (which I chilled). I'm basically just using tubing and filling at a very low pressure. With my two test bottles, one came out lightly carbonated, the other basically flat. Is the CO2 just coming out of solution during bottling? It hasnt been coming out super foamy which would suggest that. Anyway, any tips on bottle from a keg at room temperature would be greatly appreciated.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Bottling from keg at room temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:04 am »
Buy a tub and a bunch of ice and chill that keg down.

I don't think the beer is going to be able to hold enough co2 at room temp to get good carb in the bottle. It sounds like that is what you are experiencing as well. You can try getting a #2 stopper and making a cheap-n-easy counter pressure filler but I am not sure that is going to work.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Bottling from keg at room temperature
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »
you can't bottle carbonated beer warm. The close you are to 30 degrees the better.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:10:10 pm by majorvices »

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:22 pm »
I've tried bottling from a keg at room temperature with a beer gun. It did not work.

Offline mcdubster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »
So bought a cheap trashcan, got a bunch of ice and chilled the keg. Let it chill while i went for a run came back ready to bottle. Poured a glass first, very little carbonation. So apparently 2 weeks at 30 psi at room temperature did next to nothing. I cranked it from serving psi to 30 and shook vigorously for a few minutes and I could easily hear the CO2 getting into the beer. I'm in a bind now because I need to bottle tonight at the latest. I cranked it up to 30 and shook till i stopped hearing the bubbling then purged and put it on serving psi and it was a well carbed brew. I have since put it back to the correct carbing pressure and will bottle tonight. My fingers are crossed.

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:10:32 pm »
the problem is one of science, chemistry, physics, whatever... the temperature of the liquid determines, in part, the amount of CO2 saturation. Time takes over next, unless you improvise with shaking or something else. Hope it works.
For what it is worth, I intend to experiment with a diffusion stone on a modified gas in tube for my next keg. I have been told that with the diffusion stone submerged towards the bottom of the keg it will be carbonated in about one day, once it has reached proper temperature. We shall see.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.