Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: different serving pressure from carbonation pressure - two tanks and regulators  (Read 3697 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
If I had two separate co2 tanks and regulators and set one to force carbonate my kegs at 10-12 psi for say a week to 10 days at about 40 degrees, then switched the gas in line to a different co2 tank with regulator set at lower pressure for serving perhaps 2-3 psi, would the co2 slowly diffuse from solution and eventually result in the beer having a lower level of carbonation, ultimately equivalent to 2-3 psi? would the beer last long enough to find out?
okay, any ideas about the first question?
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
If I had two separate co2 tanks and regulators and set one to force carbonate my kegs at 10-12 psi for say a week to 10 days at about 40 degrees, then switched the gas in line to a different co2 tank with regulator set at lower pressure for serving perhaps 2-3 psi, would the co2 slowly diffuse from solution and eventually result in the beer having a lower level of carbonation, ultimately equivalent to 2-3 psi? would the beer last long enough to find out?
okay, any ideas about the first question?

Yes, eventually what you say would happen
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
The CO2 would slowly diffuse out until the carbonation level was equivalent to 2-3 psi.  Assuming that the actual pressure inside the keg drops immediately to 2-3 psi, I would think that you might notice that the beer is undercarbed as early as the next day.

It sounds like you should use longer tap lines to create a backpressure of approx 10 psi.

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
Thanks. Kinda what I was thinking. I have 10 foot lines on my taps but as it gets near the end of the keg things get sort of foamy. I am expanding from a four line distribution to eight, so I considered doing the second regulator, as I will mostly have one keg tapped and the second one standing by. I recently reworked my beer fridge to hold twice as many kegs - gave up bottling for the life of ease. again, thanks for the input. I suppose I can consider the increase in perceived pressure a sign that kicking is near - a sad day. 
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
it will happen, but may or may not happen quickly. if you have the beer in the keg equalized at 30 psi, and if there is a lot of head space already with pressure at 30 psi, this may take a bit.  when you switch to the 2 psi regulator, that regulator should, as i said, should remain closed.  in other words you are not going to open and supply 2 psi gas to the keg until that head space pressure drops to 2 psi. if you have a lot of head space and pull off a beer, the pressure will drop and equalize as co2 comes out of solution to a new slightly lower pressure. with a lot of head space and high pressure this could take a bit.  if the keg is completely full with liquid it will happen faster.  ex.  a 15 gallon keg with 10 gallons in it and head pressure of 30 psi, drops to 5 gallons of beer, and now 10 gallons of head space the pressure would drop to about 15psi i say about because that is just a basic pv=nrt without discussion of gas in and out of solution.
Don AHA member