Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So you want to be a brewer  (Read 38944 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: So you want to be a brewer
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2013, 01:25:10 pm »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »
So you have a law, and you can't simply abide by it, you must prove you are abiding by it and get permission to continue to abide by it?

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »
Unfortunately, enforcement after the fact doesn't work very well.  And this is just the label.  Yow! :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »
So you have a law, and you can't simply abide by it, you must prove you are abiding by it and get permission to continue to abide by it?

dude, it's not fair to drop politics bombs like that when you know we are not supposed to respond.

I'll just say that I think that margarine should still be bright green by law and Wonder 'Bread' should have to be labeled Wonder 'Artificial Bread Product'

So I guess will have to disagree on this point.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »
Truly I want to avoid the P word. Is that P word stuff? I don't think so but could be wrong I guess. Imagine if you had to call the highway patrol to get approved to drive your new car to work at the speed limit. Now I'm certain I'll never sell beer. Zoinks!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »
Truly I want to avoid the P word. Is that P word stuff? I don't think so but could be wrong I guess. Imagine if you had to call the highway patrol to get approved to drive your new car to work at the speed limit. Now I'm certain I'll never sell beer. Zoinks!

If you are a professional driver, in a lot of cases you essentially DO have to ask permission ahead of time... come to think of it we ALL need to ask permission ahead of time to drive. It's called a drivers license.

When you buy a car in many states it has to be inspected (yearly in some) to make sure it's safe to operate. So, more or less what you propose is already a reality.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2013, 02:29:35 pm »
Unfortunately, enforcement after the fact doesn't work very well.  And this is just the label.  Yow! :o
Actually you are now speaking of something I know about. All of the criminal laws are enforced after the fact, or attempting the fact. Civil may be different I suppose in a few abstract circumstances. I'll resign the day I have to arrest people who statistically might break the law.

I'm with you if you're saying (example) a guy's sells rice that contains peanuts to a peanut intolerant customer with no warning. .. its too late for that guy.

On the other hand, does the average person have to prove they are abiding by the law unless they are suspected of not?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2013, 02:32:48 pm »

If you are a professional driver, in a lot of cases you essentially DO have to ask permission ahead of time... come to think of it we ALL need to ask permission ahead of time to drive. It's called a drivers license.

When you buy a car in many states it has to be inspected (yearly in some) to make sure it's safe to operate. So, more or less what you propose is already a reality.

This is fun. I'm tracking ya here. On your side. But this is an established brewery right? So, imagine needing to get a new drivers license when you buy a NEW car. Or new to you.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »
I'm just really glad I'm not in that position I guess. If it were up to me they could safely make, label, and sell whatever they wanted to.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:09 pm »
I'm just really glad I'm not in that position I guess. If it were up to me they could safely make, label, and sell whatever they wanted to.

ahh but how do you ensure they are doing it safely?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2013, 02:59:17 pm »

I would think the costs of packaging, distribution, etc. are high enough that you would want to know in advance that you are not in violation of the law.  Particularly as labeling laws seem open to some interpretation.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

ahh but how do you ensure they are doing it safely?

Seems to me the only way would be to have an inspector who tests what's in every bottle and certify that it's what the label says. Though it might be more efficient to hammer them later IF they lie.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:17 pm »

I would think the costs of packaging, distribution, etc. are high enough that you would want to know in advance that you are not in violation of the law.  Particularly as labeling laws seem open to some interpretation.
It would make sense huh? Especially if your printing up a million dollars worth.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:26 pm »
Quite the discussion.......

I wonder if anyone out there has had a label request denied, and for what reason.  I got two approved int he spring, and it really quite easy and fast.  (of TTB was open for business then)

But still, I'd like to hear the WHY of a denial.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
Didn't Bert Grant get screwed around on label approvals way back in the day?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton